add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Philadelphia Python Users Group (PhillyPUG) Message Board › PhillyPUG wants your input!

PhillyPUG wants your input!

Dan W.
Elkins Park, PA
Post #: 1
We'd like to know what sort of talks you'd be interested in seeing at
future PhillyPUG meetings.

Last year included project nights, workshops, robotics, geospatial
topics, game theory, C++ topics, Pandas, packaging, Async in Python3
(Tulip), Numba, machine learning, testing, computer vision, Flask,
Django, lots of lightning talks and more.

What will this year hold? Web development? Scientific computing?
Hardware? Software engineering? You can help decide. Leave a reply in
this message board thread with your ideas or endorsements of
others. Be general or specific; any feedback would be useful. If you'd
like to comment privately, you can reply to me directly.

We hope the responses will inspire some of you to give a talk. If
you have ideas about that, the organizers would like to hear from you.

Timothy M.
user 65517372
Philadelphia, PA
Project nights are always fantastic, and as a web developer, I'm a big fan of Django. If someone's a wizard with Beautiful Soup, I'd love to do more than scratch the surface as well.
Johan M.
user 13391098
Lansdale, PA
Post #: 10
I'm currently doing some screen scraping, and would like to see a discussion on mechanize and lxml (python libraries).
Zifeng M.
user 124703142
Philadelphia, PA
I learn one semester of Python. My major is in Biotechnology. My desire will be on programming some projects in combining these two area.
Fred S.
Malvern, PA
Django is always interesting.

But, I won't be able to make many meetings in the city.
The traffic is brutal at rush hour. See you whenever you
meet in the western suburbs!

Alyssa B.
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 4
How about a talk/discussion on best practices for self-taught programmers? For instance, when there are many ways of storing data or making something work, is there a generally preferred way to do it in Python? Or otherwise discussing how to do things the "right Pythonic way" as opposed to the first way we found that works.
Maneesha S.
user 7365266
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
How about a talk on Python 2.x vs 3? Should people make the switch? Advantages, drawbacks? For people getting started, which should they start with?
Timothy M.
user 65517372
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 2
How about a talk on Python 2.x vs 3? Should people make the switch? Advantages, drawbacks? For people getting started, which should they start with?
+1 to this. Here's hoping that Python 3 doesn't become Perl 6... :)
user 3852092
Wayne, PA
I work largely in isolation from other programmers so most like to see talks on what other people are working on and/or interested in. Not so much lost-in-the-weeds details that are primarily interesting to experts, but overviews that include: tools, purpose, market, techniques, theory, motivation, tricks, thought processes, etc.
John W. O.
Philadelphia, PA
I tend to enjoy talks that focus on fundamentals, and that are sufficiently narrow in scope to really get into the meat of a thing, giving me a chance to absorb what's going on. Sometimes it seems like presenters assume (fear?) that we have all seen or done X before, or neglect the value in seeing someone else's approach to a familiar task or concept.

Some concrete examples of topics that interest me:

• Virtualenv and/or venv.
  • Interacting with network systems plumbing stuff, like SNMP, LDAP, PCAP, DNS, X.509/ASN.1, Kerberos, etc.
  • Implementing security best practices, like when storing/loading credentials, using cryptographic primitives, validating data, etc.
  • Using GUI toolkits, especially GTK+ and Qt.
  • setuptools and its cousins and predecessors
  • Hacking on C extensions or building them from scratch.