Reminder: No meetup Dec 18,25, Jan1. See you Jan 8 at 7pm.
"inclusive - meaningful - thought-provoking - stimulating - enlightening - controversial - respectful conversation" - Philosopher quotes directory
Welcome to The Philosophers' Forum (an inclusive community)..... running for over 13 years
Members are also interested in the Spiritual But Not Religious (SBNR) Forum http://www.meetup.com/SBNRForum
TIME/PLACE: 7-8:30pm each Wednesday, 3460 Shelbourne Street (at Derby) - enter on Shelbourne St. side.
- ample free parking and near bus stops
- commit to attending 8 consecutive weeks if you can
- no affiliation to the building
Beginning at the front door, look for signs for "The Philosophers' Forum."
WHAT IS IT?
Comfortable surroundings for vibrant street level discussions on issues fundamental to human existence. No formal philosophy training required; real life experience desired. All views are respectfully and enthusiastically welcome.
Philosophers' Forum is a series of gatherings featuring street level public conversation responding to the needs of a society under stress from unrelenting rapid change. Our singular focus has been the lifelong passion for the continuing search for meaning. Come and share your worldview or philosophy of life and hear about those of others like these https://app.box.com/s/7y98klh25ysxbzc4xkol
Running for over 13 years, the Philosophers' Forum in Victoria is moderated by Daniel Keeran MSW, RSW, dedicated to supporting the diversity of views through the use of reflective listening. He comes with many years of experience in leading group discussion.
Believing philosophical inquiry and dialogue contribute to well-being, participants are encouraged to apply empathic reflection in all relationships and communications for optimum social functioning. Empathy is "the ability to accurately feel and reflect the emotions and thoughts of the other person so that the person feels supported and understood."
For Philosophical Counselling at no charge, contact the moderator firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Attendees can form volunteer action committees related to our conversations.
2. Members are invited to print/distribute this poster in their building complexes and stores/libraries. https://app.box.com/s/wkbmq01ekz9nm6xhb3n7
3. Get this free download book perk when you help us pay the rent and insurance required by the building manager http://goo.gl/fGlZdx
Philosophers' Forum is a series of gatherings featuring street level public conversation responding to the needs of a society under stress from unrelenting rapid change. Our singular focus has been the lifelong passion for the continuing search for meaning.
We often have open-topic discussions.
Here are the kinds of things we discuss:
1. Is there objective morality?
2. Do humans possess unique value?
3. Does human life have meaning?
4. Polygamy or monogamy?
5. Theism or atheism?
6. If no afterlife, then....
7. Objective non-tangible reality?
8. Is it necessary to believe something?
9. Does time exist?
10. Do other people exist?
11. What is spirituality?
12. Is pacifism a good thing?
13. When does human life begin?
14. Secular sexuality?
15. Solutions for homelessness?
16. What is philosophy?
17. Why is there anything at all rather than nothing at all?
18. Eliminative Materialism
24. Philosophy of Awe http://youtu.be/Yb-OYmHVchQ
...and other topics suggested by participants
What are your philosophical assumptions?
The sincere reflective statement (e.g. "What I hear you saying is....") is the fundamental communication tool used in Philosophers Forum Victoria to convey understanding of a differing view before presenting one's own view, especially when the other's view seems unclear to you or is expressed passionately. The format is open free-flowing, organic discussion without structure. The primary role of the Moderator is to stimulate thought and offer frequent reflections of what participants are saying.
"The Philosophers Forum is a wonderful way to engage others in meaningful discussion on fundamental issues of human existence and meaning, and all within an environment of safety, acceptance, and understanding rather than agreement."
JOIN HOMELESS PARTNERS
To find out how, visit http://goo.gl/1zb2RN