addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Los Angeles/Long Beach Philosophy Meetup Group Message Board › What Should be the Meeting Date for the Stoicism Discussion?

What Should be the Meeting Date for the Stoicism Discussion?

Chris B.
ChristopherBobo
Group Organizer
Long Beach, CA
At the conclusion of our discussion of Aristotle's Ethics, the group decided to begin a discussion of Stoicism at the next meeting of the second track of meetings. We can meet to begin that discussion on either December 16, 23, or 30. I am inclined to schedule it for the 23, but mindful of the proximity to Christmas, I thought it best to check with the group to determine whether there is a majority preference. Please reply to this email as soon as possible, letting me know whether you prefer to meet on the December 16, 23 or 30. As discussed, the first meeting on the subject will focus on early Stoicism, or Greek Stocisim, of Zeno, Cleanthes and Chrysippus.
Ken D.
user 13900025
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 2
At the conclusion of our discussion of Aristotle's Ethics, the group decided to begin a discussion of Stoicism at the next meeting of the second track of meetings. We can meet to begin that discussion on either December 16, 23, or 30. I am inclined to schedule it for the 23, but mindful of the proximity to Christmas, I thought it best to check with the group to determine whether there is a majority preference. Please reply to this email as soon as possible, letting me know whether you prefer to meet on the December 16, 23 or 30. As discussed, the first meeting on the subject will focus on early Stoicism, or Greek Stocisim, of Zeno, Cleanthes and Chrysippus.

Chris,

I don't have commitments for any of those dates at this time. But I'm a bit discouraged by the lack of any full length work by early Stoics. I have started reading some Epictetus. One thought I have as a future topic is another treatment of ethics for comparison/contrast with Aristotle. This could be a traditional work such as perhaps Mill on utilitarianism, Moore's ethics from around 1900 or even perhaps Sam Harris' recent "Moral Landscape."

Ken Daly
Brian Y.
Brian_Yoder
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 23
All of those dates work for me though the 23rd is so close to Christmas that I don't think it's a very good choice.

--Brian
Chris B.
ChristopherBobo
Group Organizer
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 97
Ken--
Thanks for your suggestion. I too would like to explore Sam Harris book The Moral Landscape. I think it might be beneficial conceptually to alternate be traditional works of philosophy and more contemporary theories and discussions. Mill would be good also. Although I used to be somewhat dismissive of utilitarian ethics, I heard a talk at the American Philosophy Association Conference in San Diego this year that gave me a new appreciation for consequentialist ethics. Unless somewhat strenuously objects, I'm going to schedule the Stoicism Meeting for December 23, which I now think is approrpriate since Stocism and Christianity formerly competed for adherents. We know which tradition won out! Maybe we'll entitle the meeting Stoicism Strikes Back.