Dear friends -
I am pleased to announce the online publication of my book, Being Human: Essence and Fulfillment. You can find it here:
Here is a shorter link to the same place:
I greatly appreciate the input and encouragement from members of the Austin Philosophy Discussion Group. Thanks!
Much of this work has been available for some time, but I have now added a major new piece, four chapters in which I pose the question of how to live a fulfilling life and answer it by describing human nature.
* The first chapter, "Posing the Question," sets up the framework for investigation.
* The second chapter, "Facets of Human Nature," describes human nature from an objective, scientific point of view, specifically evolutionary psychology and comparison of humans with other primates.
* The third chapter, "The First-Person Point of View," describes human nature from the point of view of direct investigation of one?s own experience, focusing on how one experiences things rather than on the things experienced.
* The fourth chapter, "The Transcendental Self," describes human nature from a mystical point of view, which sees human beings as expressions of a transcendent unity.
The next step is to publish this in print. I am now in the process of editing and revising, and would welcome any comments and suggestions for improvement that you have.
* Home office: (512)[masked]
* Mobile: (512)[masked]