The Denver Philosophy Meetup Group Message Board › Philosophy Book Club

Philosophy Book Club

Eric B.
ejbman
Denver, CO
Post #: 648
Shakti posted an idea that several people like, myself included. I figured I'd open a topic to get some more ideas about how people would like to go about doing this.

Shakti suggested a less frequent off-shoot group. We could do it that way, or considering our typical attendence, we could split up into 'book club' and 'voted topic' groups at the regular meetings. What do you think?

Also, how would we choose a book? Perhaps people would suggest some and we'd put it to a vote?
Jeanette M. N.
wickedatheist
Denver, CO
Post #: 2,789
I like the idea of philosophical discussions based around books, or discussions based around philosophy books. Though the Eric Blommels, iDaves, and Philosophy Dans of the group would no doubt read philosophy books of a different level than the Jeanettes and other "normals." wink

Also, I think that the group might need a venue where people can hear each other talk in order for a book discussion to work out. Book discussions usually need more turn-taking and not so much screaming over each other and the background noise.

So I like the idea but don't know how it would best be put into practice.
A former member
Post #: 978
I'm with Jeanette on the "What did you say?" problem and would enjoy hosting some discussions at my place this summer; forces me to vacuum. So I'll put that on the table of options.
Jeanette M. N.
wickedatheist
Denver, CO
Post #: 2,798
Dave:
I'm with Jeanette on the "What did you say?" problem and would enjoy hosting some discussions at my place this summer; forces me to vacuum. So I'll put that on the table of options.

That would be awesome! You're a very charming host, Dave. (Well, and very charming overall.)

And yeah, hosting events at home does help to motivate one with the housekeeping. laughing
Rich
Rich.Carlson
Denver, CO
Post #: 20
Definitely interested. Seems like a great way to keep conversations a little more focused.
I vote for another meeting rather than squeezing it into the regular monthly one. Also agree about the noise.
How frequent it ends up being would probably depend on how many people are willing to commit.
Nominating books on the Meetup Message Board and then using the Polls feature works well for another book group I attend.
Shakti
user 11051151
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
I'm excited to see people are interested.

We could meet wherever works. If we pick another time, Thursdays are good for me. Other days could work too though.

Voting on books using the "Polls feature" sounds good. How do we do that?

Shakti
Jeanette M. N.
wickedatheist
Denver, CO
Post #: 2,799
Voting on books using the "Polls feature" sounds good. How do we do that?

Shakti

Our fabulous leader, Eric B., would set that up for us.
Rich
Rich.Carlson
Denver, CO
Post #: 21
Suggestions for the first book?
Shakti
user 11051151
Denver, CO
Post #: 2
Some Ideas:

Spinoza

Sartre - one of his philosophical essays

Roseau - Emile or Julie

Plato - preferably not the Republic or Symposium

Nietzsche

Machiavelli - the prince

Kierkegaard

Heidegger

A former member
Post #: 979
Hi guys. I don't feel any strong preference just now. I saw a guy talk about Spinoza on one of those TED Beyond Belief things some years back and thought that might be interesting. Someone gave me "The Tao of Poo" years ago and I still haven't read that. Eric likes Dennet. I like them all, at least the ones I understand. So I'll just vote Yes for everything and avoid further controversy. wink