The Denver Philosophy Meetup Group Message Board › Philosophy Book Club

Philosophy Book Club

Spry
the.one
Amherst, OH
Post #: 787
Jeanette, the book is available to a large degree in Google Books. Yes, the free version from Google Books does contain gaps. Not to worry! The whole book is a pile of crap, and the omitted parts that Google imposes really doesn't hinder you much from having an idea of the general idiocy that's afoot. So, don't worry, you're golden.

In fact you're better off reading the Google version than you are reading the damnable original. Seriously, this book is glowing crap.

But that, of course, is only my highly biased opinion, as I stand awestruck by the possibility that you folks could consider this book to be a Great Work.

What the hell are you thinking?

Dan's right on this project.
Jeanette M. N.
wickedatheist
Denver, CO
Post #: 2,893
Um... thanks, Spry. It's nice to see you back. (You should know better than to take too seriously this group's tradition of poking each other with sticks.)

I'm really looking forward to the book... but not to the book group at this point. I still don't have the book (and think I'll pass on the condensed version), so I'm here to change my RSVP for that.

There's just no possible way I would be able to finish it before then. (I'm very busy, and have aging eyes and poor concentration.) I'm very sad. crying

(I'm surprised you made it through such along and hard book that you consider "crap," Spry.)
Rich
Rich.Carlson
Denver, CO
Post #: 30
Seriously, this book is glowing crap.

Excellent.
Based on the quality of Spry's many other posts it looks like we've chosen a good book for the inaugural discussion.
Rich
Rich.Carlson
Denver, CO
Post #: 31
Argh! I'm waiting for the book to be transferred from a university library system to Denver Public Libraries, which does not carry it.

Ha! You might be waiting on the copy that I checked out through the Prospector system from the University of Wyoming, in which case it won't show up for you until well after I return it to the system the day after the discussion. tongue

(I'm surprised you made it through such along and hard book that you consider "crap," Spry.)

Jeanette, you know it can be done. After all, we've both managed to read the bible... wink

(edited to add an extra serving of snark)
Jeanette M. N.
wickedatheist
Denver, CO
Post #: 2,898
LOL. Yes, made it through that.

I did use Prospector... but I ordered it transferred from DU's library to Denver Public Libraries.
Eric B.
ejbman
Denver, CO
Post #: 654
Wait...since when can Spry read? I thought he just hired illegal immigrants to do that for him, as well as make silly posts.
Spry
the.one
Amherst, OH
Post #: 788

It's far from a hard book. It's more tedious than anything. The only hard part about it is putting up with the author's self-important craptasticness. No joke.

But, as you might remember, yes, I have a low tolerance for good books and authors, and generally have them pegged down quite well after even one page. Call it my gift.

Over ninety percent of books that have been written are not worth reading. Your current book club selection is among that ninety percent.
Jeanette M. N.
wickedatheist
Denver, CO
Post #: 2,907
Spry:
But, as you might remember, yes, I have a low tolerance for good books and authors, and generally have them pegged down quite well after even one page. Call it my gift.

So in theory we should be able rely on you to guide us to good books and authors, since you consider them "crap" and are able to determine that in short order, due to being "specially abled" in that area??? confused

Rich
Rich.Carlson
Denver, CO
Post #: 32
It's far from a hard book. It's more tedious than anything. The only hard part about it is putting up with the author's self-important craptasticness. No joke.

At first I thought you were referring to the bible, and I was surprised that I was actually agreeing with you. Then realized you were back to talking about Dennett and the world righted itself.
Eric B.
ejbman
Denver, CO
Post #: 655
Over ninety percent of books that have been written are not worth reading. Your current book club selection is among that ninety percent.

Bwahhaha! Spoken like a true illiterate. It's hard to get something out of a work of literature if you fail to bring anything to the party yourself.

Seriously though, it is only possible to dismiss Dennett's work if you fail to understand it, or if you have some beef that blinders you. If you actually have substantive, point-by-point objections, I'd be curious to hear them - but I doubt you can muster it.