Jonathan
user 8869511
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 452
Schrodinger's Cat: the cat is neither alive or dead until an observer collapses the wave function of the things they observe.

The cat is observing himself, so wouldn't the cat's own observation collapse the wave function?

Aristotle
user 52478312
Glendale, AZ
Post #: 3
Seems like you're using the "objective collapse theories" interpretation (special thanks to Wikipedia for the info). But isn't the cat supposed to be an analogy to how quantum mechanics work, and not actually representing an actual thinking cat?
Chuck A.
user 77661062
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 5
The cat's observations are only available to it.I would guess that to the cat the wave function is different in appearance then.Any communication from the cat to anything outside the box would err the outcome,and non communication does not infer cats status so is same as original ask.quantum weirdness is fine with me.I do not relish renormalization tactics.I (accepting my own preferences and values for beliefs)am troubled by equations needing to be renormalized to get a result.
Bill
Solitary
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 36
smile You are correct Aristotle! Schrodinger was saying how strange quantum mechanics was by using a hypothetical figure of speech. I would also point out that even though one can neither show the momentum and location of a sub atomic particle at the same time, the wave function is deterministic contrary to many writers of the subject---like Chopra and New Age Gurus that don't understand the subject---because no one does, as Richard Feynman pointed out. Solitary AKA Bill
Jonathan
user 8869511
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 464
But isn't the cat supposed to be an analogy to how quantum mechanics work, and not actually representing an actual thinking cat?

The cat is just another observer. Why should it matter who makes the observation?

"Schrodinger's Cat" was written as a criticism.
Chuck A.
user 77661062
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 7
To the cat, the rock waiting to decay might appear deadly if it had understanding of it's position at the moment of initiating the project.The act of communicating what was going on(it's hidden from us) changes everything.I read Dr.Hawking's reply was "when I hear of Schrodinger's cat I reach for a gun." I agree it was written as critical but not the final answer to weirdness.
Bill
Solitary
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 48
To the cat, the rock waiting to decay might appear deadly if it had understanding of it's position at the moment of initiating the project.The act of communicating what was going on(it's hidden from us) changes everything.I read Dr.Hawking's reply was "when I hear of Schrodinger's cat I reach for a gun." I agree it was written as critical but not the final answer to weirdness.

I couldn't agree more! Werner Heisenberg, with the help of Max Born and Pascual Jordan, put quantum mechanics on a mathematical bases in 1925 in a formulation using matrix algebra. However, most people who know something about quantum theory are more familiar with the alternative formulation using less advanced mathematics published by Erwin Schrodinger the following year.

Schrodinger utilized the calculus of partial differential equations that is covered in the sophomore or junior years by physics, math, and chemistry majors. Thus students in these disciplines are able to apply Schrodinger's theory to the hydrogen atom and derive its energy levels, with remarkably turn out to be the same, to a first approximation, as those derived by Bohr with his far cruder and ultimately incompatible model.

Heisenberg and Schrodinger's theories were shown to be equivalent by Paul Dirac, who developed his own elegant formulations of quantum mechanics employing linear vector algebra. Most physicist today use Dirac's method. Once you can do the math, it is amazing how simple quantum mechanics is and how few assumptions are needed to derive its full structure. The so-called mysteries of quantum mechanics are in its philosophical interpretations, not in its mathematics.

Some Christian theologians and New Age Gurus think that quantum mechanics and the uncertainty principle open up a way for the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God to act on the universe without performing miracles. But they are celebrating too soon. The uncertainty principle opens up the possibility of a different kind of deist god (The one our Founding Fathers believed in), contrary to what Christians believe, one who "plays dice," using chance to let the universe develop its own way using evolution.

In 1948, when I was 6 years old, Richard Feynman produced another formulation of quantum mechanics called path integrals that paved the way for the advances in fundamental physics that were followed for the next thirty years. It has been found by quantum physicists that every physical entity (including ourselves) has both particle like and wavelike properties. That fact is that empirically they are "all" particles contrary to what is believed. The so-called wavelike behavior does not exist for any individual particle but appears only as a property of a very large ensemble of particles. This has been confirmed by modern experiments using photons and electrons. Solitary AKA Bill