The Phoenix Atheists Meetup Group Message Board General Discussion Forum › If The Bible Is The Word Of God, Why Does It Speak Of Mythical Characters As

If The Bible Is The Word Of God, Why Does It Speak Of Mythical Characters As Being Real?

Bill
Solitary
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 12
Demuzi (Innana the goddess of love and fertility's husband in Babylonian myth.) (Known to the Babylonians as Tammuz) was condemned to spend six months of each year in the Underworld. When he emerged, bringing the spring, his sister Geshtinanna took his place.

His death and resurrection was marked by rituals which are mentioned in the Bible (Ezekiel, 8:14): "Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the Lord's house which was toward the north; and behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz."

Why is the Resurrection of Jesus considered as a fact, and Tammuz's a myth now?

Tammuz was a fertility god widely worshipped in Mesopotamia, Syria, and Palestine; equivalent to Osiris in Egypt and Adonis of the Greeks. His consort was the goddess Ishtar (Astarte, Innana, or Ashtoreth). note: In Judges 2: 11-23 we are told that Israel forsook their God, and served Baal and Ashtaroth. The prophet Samuel brought about a great revival, but before Israel could be saved from the Philistines, they had to give up Ashtoreth and turn to Jehovah (I Sam. 7:3,4).

Again, why is Ashtoreth , Astarte, Inanna, and Ishtar all the same person mention in the Bible considered a mythical character now, and not Jesus or any of the other characters mentioned? wink Bill
John G.
user 12570907
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 13
It's the delusional thinking that persists even today: "All other religious beliefs are false, but mine are true."