The Phoenix Philanthropists Message Board › Important - RSVP and Wait List Protocol

Important - RSVP and Wait List Protocol

A former member
Hi Everyone,

We have a number of new members and due to a couple recent occurences, I feel I need to go over RSVPing for our events.

The dynamics of the Phoenix Philanthropists Volunteer Meetup are much different than other social Meetup groups. It is not as big of an issue if you don't show up or change your RSVP for a night of dancing, dinner or going to a movie, etc. With our group, we have a nonprofit organization that is counting on our volunteers to be there as I have committed to them that we will fill their need. We recently had a couple smaller events where all of our RSVP's for yes changed to no within the last couple days prior to the event and then most of the people on the wait list who got bumped up, canceled their RSVP as well. Please understand that it is extremely embarrassing for me to receive a call from an organization wondering why the number of volunteers I said we would have there, weren't there. This is a big issue when there is a need for only 5 or 6 volunteers and most drop so only 1 or two show up.

I do understand that sometimes things come up at the last minute. Please, just keep in mind the nature of what this group is about. If you have any reservations or doubts about RSVPing for an event, I would rather have you not sign up and check with me at the last minute if we could use you, then to RSVP and drop at the last minute. If at all possible, please change your RSVP at least 48-72 hours in advance if you think you can't make an event.

Wait List

If you sign up to be on a wait list, please look at that as the same as being on-call for a work situation. This means you are able to fill in, even if someone cancels at the last minute and you need to cover. If you are not able to fill in at the last minute and your plans change, please take yourself off the wait list at least 48-72 hours prior to the event. There should be an email that goes out that tells you if you are moved from the wait list to the active list. Even so, I expect you to take the responsibility to keep track of what you sign up for and to check the event page to see if you have been moved up. If you are still on the wait list the day of or prior to an event, that tells me you are still willing to attend if someone drops. If you have any doubts, my number is 480-227-4182. Call me and check with me.

I know you all get lots of emails from the Meetup. If you sign up for events with our group, you need to check your emails from me for updates. Check the event page and RSVP's to see where things are at. The Wait List moves people up from the top of who shows on the right hand side of the event page. If you see you are moving up toward the top of the list. Be prepared to be able to attend or change your RSVP.

I am asking everyone to take into consideration that I report the numbers of who have signed up for something 2-3 days prior to a function. At that time the organization is relying on us to follow through.

I am very pleased with how our group has grown and the great people that we have contributing to what we do. I thank you all for your continued help and support.

Best Regards,

Jerry Heikens