Phoenix Skeptics in the Pub Message Board › Calling all Phoenix-area skeptics

Calling all Phoenix-area skeptics

Matt L.
mattlonden
Group Organizer
Phoenix, AZ
Skeptics -

Big things are brewing for the promotion of science, skepticism, and critical thinking in the Phoenix area. For example, Skeptics in the Pub will soon expand its menu of fun to include more structured events with speakers and a variety of times and locations. Also coming soon is a paranormal investigation group, which will investigate and test paranormal claims both in the lab and in the field. Other ideas include school outreach and bringing science to the local media.

What else would you like to see get done in Phoenix? This can be something for Skeptics in the Pub, the paranormal investigation group, or something else entirely.

What interests, skills, and (most importantly) time can you bring to the table? Ideas are great, but they must be followed by action. If you have any kind of skill--science, art, audio/video, legal, management, marketing, programming, graphic design, education, journalism, accounting, promotions--let us know. There is enough work to satisfy any appetite!

Please reply if you have anything to offer. Let's all help create a more rational future!

- Matt
Gautam S.
user 9808715
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 4
I would be happy to contribute any science and educational expertise I can to investigation of claims. I am a practicing physics high school teacher.

-Gautam
Trudi
user 3627338
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 6
Matt, Did you get my email reply?
trudi
Matt L.
mattlonden
Group Organizer
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 18
Trudi,

Yes I did! I'm so sorry for not getting back to you! I'm excited to have you back in AZ working for the cause. We can definitely use your skills and experience. Please let me know when you're back and ready to dive in--there's plenty to do!

I did look into the Science Foundation Arizona. I'm glad they're out there working to promote STEM, but we're going to go a slightly different route. Less focus on technology, more on critical thinking and making science fun and interesting for kids. A lot of this will be done via schools, so your experience there will be very helpful.

There will be quite a bit of public speaking and media interaction, so you may be called upon there. As for videos, I'm open to ideas. I'll see who else is interested and maybe we can set up a discussion meeting in mid-'12.

Thanks again for volunteering and not giving up when I neglected to write back. See you next year!

- Matt
Trudi
user 3627338
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 7
Critical thinking focus is a great idea! Kids are teaching us how to use technology, so I see what you mean.

ps: regarding my latest email, I at first reading thought "mid'12" meant December! ha! so you can disregard my clarification. sorry!
Trudi
user 3627338
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 12
Something just came to mind: Have you seen this? http://www.ted.com/ta...­
Are you interested in collaberating with performers to get kids thinking about and engaged in the science? Perhaps something of this nature could be created for younger audiences with local college dance or theater groups?
Just an idea....