|Sent on:||Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:13 PM|
I received this note from Edd of the Worcester Business Journal. Scott's work has been included in books like this in the past and I felt it would be another nice opportunity for you all to have your work published. Please read the instructions carefully. They are not as easy going as I am about submissions. If you do not follow their instructions they will not consider your images.
Best of Luck to You All!
In the fall of 2012, New England Business Media, LLC will publish a limited-edition hardcover volume
called Heart of the Commonwealth: A Photographic Portrait of Worcester & Central Massachusetts.
This collector’s piece, featuring four-color glossy pages, will explore the areas unique heritage and show-
case over one hundred stunning images that truly reflect the character of our region. Via images and
words, we’ll capture the essential spirit of the area—one of the most vibrant in New England and in the
Heart of the Commonwealth will feature the works of our area’s best and brightest photographers. As Pho-
to Editor of this project, I would like to personally invite you to submit your collection of greater Worces-
ter/Central Massachusetts photography for review and possible publication in this volume. Please see the
attached list for content ideas. Photos should be sent either electronically (preferred) or via mail. Sub-
mitted images will not be returned unless you make special arrangements to do so, therefore do
not send originals. Electronic images submitted for review should be scaled down to “email-friendly”
sizes. Please email submissions to: [address removed]. Please also include a brief caption of
what the picture is. Should any of your images be chosen for reproduction in the book, I will contact you
regarding securing a high-resolution copy for publication. All photos used in the book will be credited to
the photographer and all copyrights will be retained by the photographer. Both color and B&W photos
are acceptable. Prints and/or duplicate slides should be mailed to my attention at the following address:
New England Business Media
172 Shrewsbury St
Worcester, MA 01604
If you choose, you can submit a maximum of 30 images, but please do a tight edit before considering
your selection. Deadline for submissions is June 15, 2012.
Thank-you in advance for your interest and submissions. Should you have any questions, please contact
me at [address removed] or call me at[masked]-6483.
Together, we can produce a fabulous piece worthy of our region’s great heritage.
Heart of the Commonwealth
Heart of the Commonwealth
We are looking for photo entries on the following topics. This list is by no means exhaustive, but rather a
starting point. Should you have images that you feel capture a unique aspect of the area’s spirit, please send
them along for review.
• Historic Sites
• Architecture, iconic buildings, bridges, etc. Including architectural details.
• Skylines, daytime, nighttime.
• New England mills, working, restored, or “retired”
• Rivers and lakes
• Four season images, city and country, including the same view photographed throughout a year.
• Local celebrations and events - town fairs, parades, block parties, 4th of July, car shows, flea markets, etc.
• Ethnic and cultural diversity - holiday celebrations
• Statuary, memorials, etc.
• “Slice of Life” – the events that define daily life. Work, commute, play, family, reunions, etc.
• Churches, mosques, synagogues, etc.
• Parks, town commons
• Academia: schools, colleges, campus images
• Local artisans and artists
• Night life
• Sports (all kinds, including indoor and outdoor, on the court, in the water or on the slope. Team and
individual. Professional and amateur. Youth. “Wide and high” shots of stadiums and arenas.
• Diners, restaurants, road houses, local faves, both upscale and budget dining.
• Life events, births, graduations, weddings, “coming of age” celebrations.
• Interesting people, from well-known to the general public.
Please note – Photographers will be responsible for obtaining any necessary model and/or property
Heart of the Commonwealth: Re-use rates
The pay scale is as follows, and applies to both color and B/W photos in any format
2-page spread: $325
Full page: $200
1/2 page: $115
1/3 page: $80
1/4 page: $65