addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The South Bay Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Is there any interest in having weekly assignments/contests?

Is there any interest in having weekly assignments/contests?

Patrick
PjTraveler
Group Organizer
San Jose, CA
I was thinking that one of the ways that my photography improves is by having specific assignments and then seeing how others have delt with the same assignment. Each assignment would get its own folder.

If not weekly, how about monthly?

There are a several different ways that we could run it; let me know your thoughts.
a) I could pick assignments based on feedback from the group
b) The "winner" of each week could pick the assignment for the following weeK.
c) We could vote on "winner", or the person who gave the assignment could choose the winner.
d) Optional requests for feedback or not (depending on ego strength)

The list of assignments is infinite, however just to get people thinking about possible assignments
1) Repitition of visual elements
2) Kids
3) Action
4) Night shots
5) Static composition
6) Dynamic composition
7) Formal portraiture
8) Natural light portraiture
9) Flowers
10) Self portraits
11) Flash photography
Vido
Exil_Q_Trob
Cupertino, CA
Post #: 1
This is the feature of digitalphotocritique.com that I miss the most. I think weekly is too demanding -- there are several LJ groups that have weekly themes, and it seems the week is up almost as soon as I learn what the theme is to be. But monthly is what I'm used to and feels right.

Dave Gillett
A former member
Post #: 6
Hi Patrick,

I think monthly topical shoots are a fine idea but it might be more valuable to share and critique pictures in-person rather than online. Plus there are already many online critique forums, and it would be nice to take advantage of our geographic proximity. Contests do less to serve as a technique for learning than critiques, which can be a lot of fun once everyone is comfortable with one another.
A former member
Post #: 4
I whole-heatedly agree with Peiris: "monthly topical shoots" would be "more valuable to share and critique pictures in-person rather than online" ..."and it would be nice to take advantage of our geographic proximity. Contests do less to serve as a technique for learning than critiques, which can be a lot of fun once everyone is comfortable with one another."

T.->
A former member
Post #: 7
It seems to me there's general agreement that monthly topics/assigments would be a good idea. How do we get it started?

Cheers, Oli