addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The South Bay Photography Meetup Group Message Board › The Buddy Program (previously called the Mentor Program)

The Buddy Program (previously called the Mentor Program)

A former member
Hi SBP!

We've been talking about starting up that Buddy Program thing, and I've finally got my idea up and running. Here are the guidelines:

# The first cycle will start in January 2009
# You must commit to at least 3 months
# You must meet with your partner at least once a month, whether it's at a group session, or a self-organised shoot
# If the pair wishes to meet more often, then by all means, go for it!!
# Pairing will be based on favourite subjects to shoot (I will not pair a fashion photographer with a landscaper)
# A pair can agree to terminate the partnership during the time, but cannot sign up again to be a mentor/mentee until the next cycle begins

I am not requiring that you have attended a Meetup in the past, but I strongly recommend that you only sign up if you are currently active in this group and intend to truly commit to the program. If I hear from people that their partners have dropped off the face of the earth, I will not allow that person to sign up for the next 3 month cycle.

If you are interested in this program, please hit reply to this email and fill out the following information. I will accept applications until Sunday, December 7th. The pair assignments will be sent out December 9th, the same day as our next social event. The email address you provide will be shared with your partner.

Name:
Email:
Favourite photographic subject:
Favourite shooting location:
What would you like to learn from or teach your partner?

At the end of the first cycle (March), I will be asking pairs for feedback before setting up the next cycle.

Thanks again,
Reese
The South Bay Photography Meetup Group
A former member
Post #: 124
So... I don't know if anyone will read this here, but I've been having a bit of trouble with finding mentors for this program. I may have to rename it to "Shooting Partner Program" where I just pair up people who have similar interests, could possibly learn from each other, and would like to go out shooting with someone else in a smaller group.
Zheng
user 5356698
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 14
Maybe it could a photo buddy program?smile
A former member
Post #: 125
Yeah... I think it needs to change into a buddy system type thing, since it's more difficult to find people to act as mentors at this point.
A former member
Post #: 20
Hey Reese, I think the term may actually prevent people from signing up. You may coin a new term here to be used for a long time so choose wisely hahaha
In Software Engineer, they have the term "pair-programming" for an agile process of working/coding in pair. You might want to consider that "pair-..." part.

Great seeing you all today in Mountain View
Rafa
user 3760117
San Jose, CA
Post #: 48
Hi Reese,
at a previous thread there was enough interest among some of us to do this. What happened?
I'm still game to be both mentor (to somebody just starting) and mentee (with a pro or semi-pro if possible)
Thanks
A former member
Post #: 21
Hi Reese,
at a previous thread there was enough interest among some of us to do this. What happened?
I'm still game to be both mentor (to somebody just starting) and mentee (with a pro or semi-pro if possible)
Thanks

I think everyone is interested but thinking they can sign up to be a mentee. And now Reese seems to have too many mentees and short of mentors. So I think the pairing idea maybe a better model and then Reese can pair up based on some experience level.
A former member
Post #: 127
Nhan,

Yes, I think I shall rename this to be the "Buddy Program" instead of "Mentor Program" so that people can simply be paired up with people with similar interests and hopefully they can learn together.

Reese
PH
P_H_Yang
Hong Kong, HK
Post #: 112
Hi

This sounds like a great program but I missed the window to join the program in January. I'm interested in becoming a mentee to a Pro or Semi-Pro photographer or a mentor to anyone who finds my work interesting. Or just informal get-togethers to do photo shoots or critic each other's work. If anyone is interested, please contact me.

Name: P H

Would you like to be a mentor or a mentee?
I'm interested in becoming a mentee to a Pro or Semi-Pro photographer or a mentor to anyone who finds my work interesting. Checkout my work at: http://phyang.org/...­ or click the image below:

Favourite photographic subject: Anything. More interested in people over landscape and architecture.

Favourite shooting location: Anywhere.

What would you like to learn from your mentor, or what can you share with your mentee?
This a bit difficult to answer. -- To start, any special photography tips my mentor is willing to share, lighting, portrait, honest critic of my work. Everything I know that the mentee is interested. Critic his/her work. Open to suggestions.

Cheers
PH
A former member
Post #: 8
I would like to be part of the photo buddy group as well. I like to photograph people and landscapes but I will pretty much shoot anything.