align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The South Bay Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Surf Photography Day in November

Surf Photography Day in November

Jeffery L.
user 3795604
Felton, CA
Post #: 108
Jeffery Luhn is organizing a day to bring photographers and surfers together to shoot, show-off and raise money for ocean ecology. The first sponsor to get on board is SmugMug, the highly acclaimed online store front and photofinishing company.

We need people to help organize the event. Contact: Jeffery Luhn through this website.

Concept document to follow:

Overview:
Surf Photography Day is a community event designed to bring surfers, beach-goers and photographers together for a fun day of picture taking.

There’s nothing new about visitors coming to Santa Cruz and taking photos. Enthusiastic photographers already come to Santa Cruz and its environs to document the beach scene, the redwoods, the surfers, the Boardwalk and the nightlife, but the activity is spread throughout the year. This event raises the awareness and interest in our area by encouraging surfers and beach-goers to participate as subjects for photographers on one special day.

Justification:
This event puts one of America’s most interesting lifestyles in front of the camera.
Surfers are proud members of an adventurous group and it’s only natural for them to want to be recognized for their skill. Despite their desire for photos, very few of them have any good shots of themselves. If they knew that the beaches of Santa Cruz would be teaming with photographers on a specific day, and that tens of thousands of their photos would be posted on a public website, they’d come out in droves.

Similarly, photographers are also members of a special group. I’ve been teaching photography for 30 years and I’ve never seen photographers more starved for opportunities to use their cameras. In 2008 over 100 million* digital cameras were sold in North America! We have a nation of enthusiastic shooters attending cultural festivals, playgroups, concerts, and parks. Despite their desire to shoot interesting subjects, they are often too shy to ask strangers to pose. Here’s an opportunity to give photographers the subjects they seek and surfers the attention they deserve.

Goals:
The main goal for the event is to bring visitors to our area by building excitement about photography and surfing.

As in the case of other events, such as the Gilroy Garlic Festival, the principle idea for the celebration has long since been overshadowed by the active participation of vendors and non-garlic-eating visitors. And that’s a good thing! We would hope that Surf Photography Day would expand to include hoards of visitors that want to see good surfing and take their families out for dinner afterwards.

* http://wiki.answers.c...­

Community participation:
Any event that brings people with disposable income into the city is a benefit for local businesses, and those businesses will fund the event if we don’t ask too much of them. The main beneficiaries of the event will be local restaurants, retail surf stores and photography related businesses. These are the establishments that comprise the list of prospective supporters.

Business sponsorship:
The key sponsors will be a radio station, a photo finishing business, photography equipment manufacturers, and Jeffery Luhn Photography. Key sponsors will get top level exposure on the website and at the venues.

In the first year of Surf Photography Day our goal will be to familiarize the business community with the nature and timing of the event. We will ask them to put up posters in their windows and acknowledge the visitors with extended hours, special menu items, or small sponsorship support. In this way we’ll be able to lay the groundwork for an expansion of the program in following years.
Victoria M.
user 9504131
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 2
Jeffery- I'd love to be part of this event. I took a lot of great surfing photos in Maui over the summer and had a blast. I have a place in SC so I spend a lot of time there and I know how great the photo opps can be there. Let me know anyway I can help, I don't have a lot of cash but I do have time. Victoria