The South Bay Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Carnaval Grand Parade, Sunday May 24

Carnaval Grand Parade, Sunday May 24

A former member
Post #: 154
Hey guys,

I will not be setting up a formal Meetup for this, but Carnaval SF Grand Parade is happening this Sunday, May 24th at 930am in the Mission. The best place to get close-up photos is on Bryant Street near 24th, which is the staging area. I will be around the area shooting around and would love if anyone who sees me would wave and say hello if you recognise me!

Much recommended to take Bart up and get off at the 24th St Mission stop, and then walk east on 24th St to Bryant.

Reese
A former member
Post #: 8
Hi! If I may add, for those who are driving (come early, like be there by 9), lots of parking by the area of Alabama/Harrison and 16th (+/- 2 blocks), by the San Fran SPCA- a long stretch. The carnaval participants park in that area. The parade route ends closer to that area, that way when you're tired following, you may go directly to your parked car. Lock your valuables and never expose any valuables from inside your car. It's usually safe from every year that I was there. There's always somebody there from the samba groups who tend to their things and trucks, and supply-trailers for the parade. They are mostly all "cool" in the spirit of the occassion. And there's cops and traffic monitors everywhere!

If you come early to the area where the parade starts (24th?), you could see the fresh eager faces who will participate in the parade. They stay in their cue lines, close to their samba group's decorated floats, and they are in their colorful costumes. The morning starts with hushed voices in the cool SF air, you'll see last minute catchup rehearsals, etc. And at the end of the route, there are impromtu drum performances with their leaders directing and their main dancers doing their routines.

Yes! True, it's quite a walk from the 16th to the 24th. But that is your vigorous warm up for when you follow the parade. It's a fun way to exercise.

Use high ISO and faster shutter speeds (1/250 sec minimum?) and corresponding apertures for movement. And if you can, use manual fill flash to lighten harsh shadows (under the chins, noses, eye-sockets, under the subjects' hair crowns). If you're lucky, mild temperatures are the greatest for this type of photography, as it was part of the time last year (2008), where you may get by without using that flash- allowing you to be in "machinegun" mode to catch cool action and have a lot to choose from.

If you easily get cold, it may be a little breezy from the coast part of the time, so bring a light "second skin" type of long sleeved shirt at least.

Be ready with normal to wider lenses too, because the dancers frequently get intentionally very close and strut their stuff in front of spectators, and specially at photographers for possibilities of showing up at websites and news sites. This is their chance to shine in a while because after that, they go back to their regular routine in life, to work, school or unemployment lines as these days case maybe.

Have fun, and see you there!
Dan
A former member
Post #: 15
I didn't see anybody there. I guess I was too busy walking with the parade.