The South Bay Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Worldwide Photo Walk - July 18

Worldwide Photo Walk - July 18

A former member
Post #: 155
Hey SBP,

I went and signed up to be a leader for Scott Kelby's Worldwide Photo Walk, scheduled for July 18th. I have yet to be approved as a leader, but signed up for Fremont, CA (there are already two happening in San Jose).

So... I am trying to decide between a few options for the walk:

1) Coyote Hills Regional Park (I don't know why I thought this was in Menlo Park; I was apparently terribly, terribly wrong). There are marshlands, bay views, and maybe even some wildlife. I would like for us to shoot the sunset, but the park shuts at 8pm, and the sun may not go down fast enough, but hopefully we can still get some good shots. The shoot will probably be scheduled from 6-8pm

2) Niles. I am leaning towards this option since there is a good chance of having a variety of stuff to shoot (street, nature, etc). Also, Niles is having a Dog Show, so there may be plenty of people around. The area itself is a bit small, but there is also Quarry Lakes nearby if we wanted to get a bit of nature stuff.

3) Ardenwood Historic Farm. This is a real working farm, complete with animals. It can get a bit crowded on the weekends though, since it's a family-type of place.

Once I get approved as a leader, I will post a Meetup to the group, but you will need to register for the walk on the official Worldwide Photo Walk website to join us.

Ok, that's all kids!

Your friend organiser Reese
jcdill
user 6884677
San Jose, CA
Post #: 6
I went and signed up to be a leader for Scott Kelby's Worldwide Photo Walk, scheduled for July 18th. I have yet to be approved as a leader, but signed up for Fremont, CA (there are already two happening in San Jose).

So... I am trying to decide between a few options for the walk:

1) Coyote Hills Regional Park (I don't know why I thought this was in Menlo Park; I was apparently terribly, terribly wrong). There are marshlands, bay views, and maybe even some wildlife. I would like for us to shoot the sunset, but the park shuts at 8pm, and the sun may not go down fast enough, but hopefully we can still get some good shots. The shoot will probably be scheduled from 6-8pm

Hi Reese,

I'm already signed-up to attend the Chinatown walk in SF.

You can't end your walk at 8 pm if the park closes at 8 pm, you need to allow time for people to organize into their cars and exit the *gate* by 8 pm, so the walk needs to end by 7:45 at the latest. Or, you may want to see if you can get an exception for the gate closing time. Sometimes parks hold special walks that go outside their normal hours. If this is the case you would also want to make sure the ranger on duty knows not to lock the gate at 8!

If you want your walk to include sunset, it needs to go to at least 8:30, 9:00 would be even better (gate closing at 9:30) to allow for photos in the lingering twilight as sometimes the most amazing colors happen well after sunset. Also people could practice/play with strobist photos in the post-sunset light.

Sunset info from:
U.S. Naval Observatory Astronomical Applications Departmen:

The following information is provided for Fremont, Alameda County, California (longitude W122.0, latitude N37.5):

Sunday 19 July 2009 Pacific Daylight Time
Sunset 8:26 p.m.
End civil twilight 8:56 p.m.

Plan D might be to change your walk from Fremont to Alviso (if you can, if SJ2 isn't already going to Alviso) - I feel Alviso would be a perfect location for the WWPW and there's no problem with staying as late as you want to shoot the sunset.