The San Francisco Photography Meetup Group Message Board › SF holiday skyline -- view from ferry

SF holiday skyline -- view from ferry

Closed to new replies

Andreas
Sunny_Vale
Sunnyvale, CA
Post #: 45
What I would like to shoot is the fully illuminated SF skyline, at or after sunset from a ferry. The ferry from Oakland's Jack London Square likely is the easiest.

Has anyone tried that before and what are the ferry schedules ?
Since I'd be coming from the south bay, I either would want to travel back & forth by ferry or use BART for one of the legs

I did something similar while returning from Alactraz . When approaching from Oakland you get a better look at the Bay Bridge & the Financial District
A former member
Post #: 3
I've considered the same thing many times but always figured the ferry wasn't much of a good platform for shooting the city at night. Even with a fast lens you'd have a hard time getting a good shot of motion blue of the lights on the city.

I've also considered a trip to Alcatraz to shoot the city from the island with a good zoom lens but have no idea as to the real distance but I think 300mm should do.

I have shot the city from several of the piers and the best one is the one in front of Ghirardelli Square but I hear it closes at sunset. But that doesn't explain some really awesome night shots I have seen from there.

Regardless I will be keeping track of this thread.

Cheers,
Darv

Liquidmoonlight.com
Grant K.
Solano
Fairfield, CA
Post #: 453
Did you ever try shooting from Treasure Island?
Andreas
Sunny_Vale
Sunnyvale, CA
Post #: 46
Naturally I've shot from TI : http://www.flickr.com...­
From a ferry you get closer to the bridge and see angles otherwise not accessible. And the rough texture of the water also is nice -- see http://www.flickr.com...­

With a fast lens and high ISO, I'm confident I can get some good results