addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The San Francisco Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Dec 10th -- Total Lunar Eclipse

Dec 10th -- Total Lunar Eclipse

Closed to new replies

Andreas
Sunny_Vale
Sunnyvale, CA
Post #: 47
The timing of the Total Lunar Eclipse is easy to predict :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharpshutter/6284945054/in/pool-fotostream­
If the weather is good, there can be some good photo opportunities -- a dark read (eclipsed) moon in a blue, twilight sky sounds interesting. Possibly add some SF landmark ...

• Predicting the weather is not that easy -- not even 48 hours ahead of time -- so no meetup. I'll post suggestions (if I'm in town)
  • There is one more unknown variable -- the eclipse occurs during morning twilight. While the moon is getting darker & darker, the sky id getting brighter & brighter during twilight. I am not sure up to which point you will be able to see the eclipsed moon -- even under the best of weather conditions. STELLARIUM simulations indicate it will be visible ...
  • The eclipse starts while the moon still is high in the sky -- that can be a good thing if you stand close to a landmark you want to photograph.
  • The final portion of the eclipse is close to the horizon -- that is good news for "landscape" photographers -- the added atmospheric distortion is bad news if you want to take close-up shots of the moon.