The San Francisco Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Pix of Queen Mary 2 Entering SF Bay on Front Page of CNN I-Report

Pix of Queen Mary 2 Entering SF Bay on Front Page of CNN I-Report

PH
P_H_Yang
Hong Kong, HK
Post #: 53
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Queen Mary 2 Visits San Francisco

Historical Entrance
The Queen Mary 2 made its historical entrance into the San Francisco Bay as the largest ship ever to pass under the Golden Gate Bridge.

Click above for more images

This photo is now featured on the Front Page of CNN I-Report. Image at the top left under "Spotlight". It's an changing image. If you don't see mine, click on "Queen" under the main image:
Front Page of CNN I-Report

San Francisco Bay - Feb 4, 2007

At 4 pm today, the Queen Mary 2 made its entrance into the San Francisco Bay as the largest ship ever to pass through the Golden Gate Bridge. Thousands of people from all over the Bay Area and beyond came to witness this historical moment on this sunny Sunday afternoon.

Cruising on a westward around-the-world voyage with 2,638 guests aboard, the QM2 sailed from Fort Lauderdale, Florida for 13,880 nautical miles around Cape Horn of South America as it is too larges to pass through the Panama Canal.

Everybody tried to seek a vantage point to have a good look of the Grand Dame of luxury liners that measures 1,311 feet long and displaces 151,000 tons. By 2 pm, parking at the prime waterfront viewing area from Fort point, Crissy Field to Fort Mason and Aquatic Park was almost impossible to find and the park rangers had to close some of the access roads.

The bay was crowded with vessels of all sizes from tour boats, sailing yachts to row boats and a kayak or two. The pedestrian walkway on the Bridge was lined with people eager for a glimpse. A few helicopters were hovering above.

By 3 pm, the scheduled arrival time, some people become impatient when the cruise ship was nowhere to be seen. Fortunate for many who still looking for parking space, the mega ship was running late. When the QM2 finally appeared, the crowd cheered and clapped and traffic on the Golden Gate Bridge stopped cold when the mega ship sailed majestically under the Bridge blowing its deep whistle, an hour late. Bottles of champagne were popped both on-board and ashore.

It was a memorable balmy Sunday afternoon for both the passengers and the spectectors.

Enjoy
PH
A former member
Post #: 17
You know I saw this ship yesterday while walking near Fort Mason and I was amazed by it's size. It's great you got it on camera.
PH
P_H_Yang
Hong Kong, HK
Post #: 59
Glad you enjoyed the pix, Ellina. Are you sorry that you have not taken some photos of the historical event?

PH
A former member
Post #: 19
No I'm not sorry, because everything happens for a reason. I'm happy that your photo was chosen for CNN. Way to go SF Photographers.
A former member
Post #: 13
PH, congrats!

It was quite an event to attend, minus the traffic...I've post some pics on my website under the events section.

http://cchinstudios.z...­

http://cchinstudios.z...­
PH
P_H_Yang
Hong Kong, HK
Post #: 60
Thanks, Chris.

I enjoyed your photos too. You know, judging from the angle of our shots, both of us must have been close to each other at Fort Point. We should coordinate better next time.

PH
A former member
Post #: 6
I totally missed the boat in more ways than one. I must have been on another planet to not know that the boat was scheduled to come in.
KS Kyle
KerriSuz
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 11
In the large scheme of the Universe, it's just a boat. Ya know?
:)
K.
Jeff1.8
user 3732946
Alameda, CA
Post #: 1
a big boat tho. hi im new here, i like what you guys are doing! here is a photo i just took.

latoga
latoga
San Ramon, CA
Post #: 33
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
Some great shots from everyone of the QM2. From the angle of the photos, it looked like it just barely fit under the bridge (must just be the angle). It reminded me of when they brought the Oakland Port's new Cargo Cranes under the bridge about 4 years ago...they cleared by like 12 inches and I got a shot from Pacific Heights...unfortunately it wasn't a great shot since I had a point and shoot and did digital zoom on it...

Great work all!

latoga