addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Chris
user 11771716
Burnaby, BC
Post #: 24
Pretty interested in exploring some abandoned sites. Anyone else interested?
Confusion C.
user 3160827
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 222
I used to love urban exploration, but after some close calls, I haven't done it for a few years. There is a group of local people who are active in urban exploration, but it's a very closed group. I tasted the past two weeks ago after sneaking into an abandoned office building in Winnipeg...the rush was the same. I will post the pics soon.
Trevor G.
user 12146819
Calgary, AB
Post #: 9
I would like that too. However you need to be careful as even though they are abandoned they are still owned by someone. Going inside constitutes trespassing. Who knows if you would get the cops called on you, but just saying.
Jack S.
user 9198037
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 82
I used to love urban exploration, but after some close calls, I haven't done it for a few years. There is a group of local people who are active in urban exploration, but it's a very closed group. I tasted the past two weeks ago after sneaking into an abandoned office building in Winnipeg...the rush was the same. I will post the pics soon.

They weren't abandoned Jayson .... cuz we was in 'em biggrin but, cool, not the lesssmile

Jack
Russ K.
user 3929906
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 338
I'm up for it - anything in mind? In many areas, them "abandoned" buildings aren't really abandoned - they're occupied by squatters, and can be very dangerous. My preference is true "ghost" buildings - but they tend to be way out in the outback. Wendy and I did a study of some 23 abandoned silver mining towns in Montana a number of years back - check out "Vanishing Silver" on our website: http://RusselKwan.com­.

cheers,
Russ
Brian Leafy G.
AmuzingBrian
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 19
Trevor G.
user 12146819
Calgary, AB
Post #: 11
In many areas, them "abandoned" buildings aren't really abandoned - they're occupied by squatters, and can be very dangerous.
cheers,
Russ
That is a good point. Not to mention drug users. They are intriguing though, I have always wanted to do that.
Chris
user 11771716
Burnaby, BC
Post #: 25
I'm up for a day trip if there are some ideas. Riverside hospital is the one I always hear of, but I'd imagine at this point it's pretty locked down. Not to worried about tresspassing/police, more squaters as was mentioned.
Chris
user 11771716
Burnaby, BC
Post #: 26
- check out "Vanishing Silver" on our website: http://RusselKwan.com­.

cheers,
Russ

Great pics, the kettle one really sticks for me
A former member
Post #: 1
A friend and I have been exploring places around the Lower Mainland for a while now. We've been to the old BC Ferry near Mission, what's left of Woodlands Hospital, a bunch of derelict houses in Richmond and Vancouver, The Pantages Theatre, and the Thornton train tunnel.

We have more exploring plans and are currently waiting for the Fraser river to drop so we can check out an old steam locomotive which derailed way back when and now sits partly submerged near Mission. There is also a supposed old tunnel running under the river from PoCo to Surrey built around the 1860s out of fear of an American invasion into BC, so soldiers could get across the river secretly. Only part of it was built but apparently, the opening on the North side is still somewhat accessible. There is also a WW2 PBY Canso bomber in the woods near Tofino, a car graveyard on one of the Islands off the coast, and another bomber crash in the interior which supposedly had Nazi gold on it. Those trips are definitely longer expeditions but we're still doing lots of day trips.

Riverview is a tough one though. The Crease Building, which is the one visible from the highway, is used as a studio and has a few sets inside, so it's not empty that often. I've actually worked on a bunch of movies in there and they also have search protocols for missing patients so the police are quick to get there and know how to search the building. Some of the other buildings, like the North Lawn building, have been so wrecked in the past by film productions that no one is allowed in them anymore because of all the exposed asbestos. There is a tunnel running from the Crease building to the kitchen building which could make an interesting photo location though.

Here are some photos sets I've made from some recent exploring.

http://www.flickr.com...­