Trevor G.
user 12146819
Calgary, AB
Post #: 8
I realize it is not "our" meetup groups design, rather. It is a global change. But I have to say I dislike the new layout. I really preferred seeing the photo's on the bottom including new messages.

Past meetups are a bit moot, are they not? If anyone was curious they could still go and check on a smaller tab. Point being it was still accessible.

Anyone else not like?

Or maybe you do like?
--
[Edited title so as not to confuse with changes in 2013 ~Trish]
--
Jack S.
user 9198037
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 81
Oops, I hadn't even noticed shock .... Time, I think, to
turn in cameras wink

Jack
Russ K.
user 3929906
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 339
I gotta say I don't like it much, neither. The hover-over stuff on the right edge is slow and klunky - and doesn't deliver much information for all the mousing required. It's also weirdly selective about what it shows, so I find I miss new stuff I might be interested in.

cheers,
Russ
Trevor G.
user 12146819
Calgary, AB
Post #: 10
Oops, I hadn't even noticed shock .... Time, I think, to
turn in cameras wink

Jack

Lol, always good for a chuckle Jack

It's also weirdly selective about what it shows, so I find I miss new stuff I might be interested in.

cheers,
Russ

Very true. New pictures seem to get buried faster, and it is harder to track discussions. Or for others to join in.
Trish
VanPhoto
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 489
Thanks Trevor for starting this thread.

Yes, the "new look" is more than annoying and the changes implemented in the past few weeks doesn't take us back to the original design pre-2011, which I think it's safe to say was enjoyed globally before le super faux-pas... see http://www.observer.c...­

For me, I've exhausted my own patience and energy by corresponding, complaining, adding weight to "suggestions", reading and voting, re-voting and re-voting, in order to get more of the previous functionality back, or add improvements to the what we now have.

I feel we enjoyed our group site much more with the previous design (before Jan 21, 2011), and now, it's just not the same -- even with the new features they're trying to give back to us -- because of the reasons you and Russ so aptly point out. I think the KPI is the drop in activity on the message boards, and in posting photos and photo comments (although the latter prevails, in spite of it all!).

The only thing that Meetup HQ suggests when I complain or make "new" suggestions now is that I should add the suggestion or add weight to others' suggestions on http://meetup.uservoi...­. If you have time/inclination, you can also do this.

In effect, the changes this past month are at least a baby-step in the right direction. Hopefully, we'll experience more and that the changes will support rather than detract from our community experience.

Thanks as always Jack for the giggle!!! :)
Russ K.
user 3929906
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 341
Ooooeeee. That meetup.uservoice thingie is one total ballocks - who on earth has the time to wade through a tangle of unorganized and vague declarations and vote on them? This is a classic case of getting "assent by exhaustion".

cheers,
Russ
Trish
VanPhoto
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 490
Absolutely, Russ. I feel all we can do, other than participate in the uservoice list, is wait. I've seen small advances in the desired direction, but it really is amazing, isn't it? :)
Russ K.
user 3929906
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 342
It's pretty clear to me that the changes of the past few months are aimed at getting new recruits into groups, rather than serving the existing group. This is a result of the recruitment crunch all social-networking sites face as this overhyped and overheated market reaches saturation, and the founders and investors start looking for exits - and membership count is one of the main benchmarks.

cheers,
Russ
Trevor G.
user 12146819
Calgary, AB
Post #: 12
Theres only 6 ..."widgets"? for lack of a better word, on the main page. it would be a whole lot better if they could be customized where you want them. Or at least have them be moderator controlled and be group specific. I remember their being a social network that allowed yo uto do so.... I can't remember which one now. But I know it has been done, so the html coding can't be that difficult.
Trish
VanPhoto
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 491
Trevor, they removed all that functionality in Jan. We could toggle and select, and move widgets around, etc. I liked this very much and it served the group well. Now, the main thrust is to force a 'self-serve' model to be born. Sort of like if someone wants to Meetup somewhere, they can write up the event but not commit to hosting it or choose a date/time or location. Others can fill it all in and then it gets sent automatically out to the group. So, the whole interface is now geared for the testing and refinement of this model. It's very difficult to 'manage' from an organizer's POV, but for small groups it works because if there's a change (anyone could just change the date or location), then it's not a big deal to fix it. But for large groups with diverse members and many people eager to Meetup, it's hazardous.

I have disabled this functionality as much as I can, but when I'm too busy to post events as now, it would be good to hand the reins over to the group to sort out what they might like to do. However, to give out the entire coil of rope seems so risky. And then my job changes to a mere firefighter, dealing with issues rather than leading a group. If I had modicum of time, I would want to be setting up events, not fixing problems with the self-serve model.

There is a group of discouraged organizers who have a new Meetup group that plays with and breaks and laughs at the self-serve tools. I haven't spent any time there but I was able to glean the significant pitfalls of using the functions for our group, and the Free R&D that it provides to Meetup HQ!