add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Vancouver Photography Meetup Group Message Board Challenges, Workshops & Field Trip Ideas › "Advanced" Hummingbird Learning Fieldtrip

"Advanced" Hummingbird Learning Fieldtrip

Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 500
Hi everyone!

Keith and I have been talking about hummingbirds... and he has generously offered to take a very small contingency of experienced photographers out to learn to shoot hummingbirds in the wild (well, in the park... but not at hummingbird feeders).

This idea can only work with a small group of photographers who are quite experienced and well versed in photography (e.g., can speak easily about aperture, DOF, F-Stops, ISO, etc.), and have good experience with your own lens that is at least with a focal lenth capable of 200mm.

What this means is, Keith will introduce you to where the hummingbirds are, and help you to setup and then instruct you to sit around for hours, very quietly, very still, and very intently. He will tell you what to watch for and then you will wait, and wait, and wait... for that perfect moment and try for the perfect shot. And then you will wait and wait and wait again, and try again. You will learn about the hummingbirds' habits, tips on timing, and what not to do mostly, such as make a small quick movement because that is why hummingbird flies away!

Keith cites that he can spend 4 to 6 hours waiting and shoot 10 minutes. And, he says it's really worth it when you get the shot!

So. I'm posting this note to see what sort of interest there is in the group.

As some of you found out on Sunday at Reifel, Keith has been chasing hummingbirds for quite a number of years. He would like to offer to take 4 to 6 others with him out for a morning or afternoon, or both, on a weekend -- and if it works out, maybe more than once -- between now and the end of June.

If this is something you would like to do (and you are an experienced photographer, and have a lens capable of 200+mm ) please post a reply to this thread.

PS, if you feel bad or sad that this isn't for you (because you don't have a lens and/or you're not quite that experienced yet)... please send me a private message to discuss. :)
Confusion C.
user 3160827
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 233
I'm in!
Chris K.
user 11021465
Coquitlam, BC
Post #: 7
Im interested !
Webb Y.
user 21265221
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 1
This sounds good. I am in!
A former member
Post #: 12
Please count me in !!!
A former member
Post #: 4
Hi Everyone,

As Trish mentioned, Its important to keep the numbers of Photog's to a small number for this event so we don't overwhelm the birds and scare them off. They are very skidish in the spring until they get use too people, as they will not return as often to a site if they feel threatened.

One of the advantages we have is that the locations we will be shooting at are well travelled so it won't take long until they get used to people walking around their feeding spots.

If there is enough interest I will do seperate sessions for those interested. I'd like to keep the group to 4 VPMG members plus myself. So if more than 4 people are interested and have the recommended equipment and knowledge I will add another session on a different day and split those interested in half up to 8 people.

I'll firm up all the details with Trish before we add this to the calender of events.

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi there,

I would love to join. My work is focused on portraiture, but have gotten into some landscape and nature photography and will be able to rent the right lens from beauphoto. If there is space, that would be great.

Angela R
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 55
Count me in too! I prefer later in the day if possible.
Russ K.
user 3929906
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 364
Thanks Keith and Trish for taking this on - it's a fabulous opportunity for the group.
A former member
Post #: 6

Hi everyone. I have been checking out the sites for the Hummingbirds and seeing what they are up too and if they are back in their same locals. I am happy to say that they are here, but I'm not certain yet how many Hummingbird pairs have taken up residence as yet.

The trick here is that there isn't a ton of food for them yet because the weather as we know has sucked. Not too many hummingbird specific flowers blooming yet, or at least not the ones in the park they like the most and tend to frequent.

I have seen Female and Male Anna's Hummingbirds and a couple of Female Rufous Hummingbirds in their usual locations. The weather is starting to get better and I hope that I can start this Meet up fairly soon.

I'll update again later this week and hopefully I can have Trish put the actual event up on the board for people to sign up for. Please remember that each Meet is going to be only 4 people but I will schedule another class once the first is full.

Once the Meet (event)is posted please read it carefully as it will have some very specific information you'll need to know and have specific camera gear requirements for anyone interested in attending.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions between now and then.

Thanks All,