The Vancouver Photography Meetup Group Message Board Messages from the Organizer › Printing, preparing for Oct photo contest

Printing, preparing for Oct photo contest

Trish
VanPhoto
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 72
Hi everyone,

The Theme for the photo contest is "Light and Shadows".... that is, take any picture you like as long as it has a strong sense of light and shadow. The two must be part of the image and play off of each other.

See the Event at http://photo.meetup.c...­

This particular contest will be different than the last time (i.e., will not be uploaded to the Meetup site for voting). Instead, we'll be entering and judging the photos at the Meetup.

The essence of the contest is for those interested in participating to bring in one photo, approximately 8x10, to enter into the contest. Photos which adhere to the theme more, have a better chance of winning.

Willing members in attendance at the meeting will vote on the winner (Greg G. has a formula for voting and will handle that part -- thanks Greg!).

Questions or suggestions around Printing are welcome in this thread.

Trish
--
Trish
VanPhoto
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 75
Hi,

Can someone suggest a printing shop in town for those of us who are primarily digital and haven't yet explored the realm of printing our images?

Also, any detailed advice for we beginners on things to consider like paper and finish, sizes, would be great too!

Thanks a lot,

Trish
A former member
Post #: 6
I don't use digital but one of the other members highly recommended Walmart, both for quality and price. I would imagine that London Drugs would be reasonable and it is convenient.
Confusion C.
user 3160827
Vancouver, BC
The Lab is the absolute best for custom prints.
A former member
FWIW, the camera shop I work at [Gastown Photo -- can do 8x10's [Matte or Glossy] in a few minutes and regularily do up to a hundred (100) 8x10's for sports guys in under 30 minutes.

Cheers,

Jack
Jim
user 2488576
Burnaby, BC
Post #: 5
Hi Trish

I generally have a bunch of printers you can use. Current and previous models. Let me know if you need to borrow a few. The only thing you may need to pick up is some paper. I have ink.

Jim