The Vancouver Photography Meetup Group Message Board Buy-Sell Gear Exchange › a For Sale tab

a For Sale tab

Closed to new replies

Terry T
TerryinKelowna
Kelowna, BC
Post #: 6
I would like to see a dedicated For Sale Photography & Cine heading up with the other headers--Home, members etc. Just finished looking through the For Sale search and it is a hodge podge of stuff. There are also many items from 2007--pages!
I suggest this area have an automatic erase feature after 30 days with no limit to the number of times one can list the items for sale.
An organization with 2 064 members could offer its members a tremendous place to buy and sell equipment that is no longer suited to members current photography needs. Listing items with the Vancouver Photography Meetup, could become another area to use as well as Craigslist or Kijiji but always remember, "Buyer Beware." Cheers Terry in Kelowna
Trish
VanPhoto
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 502
Hi Terry,
How's it going? You're full of ideas these days!
You mention a couple of things...

1. Creating a Buy/Sell "Tab"... we can't create tabs on this site. What you see is what we get. But... having said that, it's possible to create a new "thread" that is exclusively for Buy/Sell as you suggest (similar to our existing "Shameless" board). The upside of this is that it's all in once place. The downside is that it takes monitoring to ensure everyone who has something to sell actually posts their "ad" in the right place (in the thread designated for Buy/Sell, and not create a new thread). While I like the concept in theory, right now it costs me a bit of time each month to enforce the "Shameless" thread. But this is necessary to eliminate any spam on our message boards, and I'm happy to do this bit myself to protect the group and members from commercial advertising...

2. Deleting old posts... there is no functionality available for automated cleaning/purging of old posts. And while I understand your concern, that looking through all the old posts to find information buried there is a pain, and isn't neat and tidy. For a while I was working on the same attitude and I tried to keep the boards relatively clean, keeping only conversations for posterity and deleting old stuff.

But I stopped. In reality, it takes quite a bit of work and I have enough to do. I'd rather focus any extra time on creating events rather than administer the site. Also, I actually really like to go through the old threads and read what happened...

FYI, as you might not know, it's quite easy to find stuff if you have a keyword that describes what it is your looking for: over the years, Meetup HQ has refined the "Search" function for the Discussion boards and it's quite good.

So. I'd rather leave debating the idea of purging the old posts for another day.

With respect to creating a Buy/Sell thread, let's open this up for others to comment on. If there's enough interest, I will consider it.

What it will look like is a new thread on the boards, entitled something like "Photo & Cine Gear - FOR SALE". The opening message will be instructions on what you can post, what you need to post, pictures and what you must do to notify everyone after it's sold. It would entail posting your For Sale Ad in the same way as on the Shameless board, with "Add Reply" and not create a new thread. And, it will take one of the Leadership team to stay on top of it and monitor that everyone is playing by the new rule.

Everyone, please add your comments.

Disclaimer: we're discussing the possibility of adding a new permanent thread on our Discussion Boards for selling your gear. I do not promise that anything you suggest will actually happen. Once we've discussed it at length and we have some ideas that we all want to live with, then I will make the final decision. Thanks.
seebak (.
user 21002711
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 5
Sounds good to me.

I always hope to "step up" my equipment.

At least if an item is listed here there is a much better chance that it is what the person says it is.

Chris
Confusion C.
user 3160827
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 238
Yes, I think a buy/sell "sticky" thread would be a great idea. Maybe limit the access to people with over a certain number of posts to be able to sell gear?
Mike D.
md_photo
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 3
Sounds great - I'm always looking for new(ish) gear, and may have stuff to sell at some point as well!
Trish
VanPhoto
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 506
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Jason, there's no functionality on the boards to limit anything. We would have to monitor it ourselves...

If I have an offer of help and commitment from one or two people to take this over, then I'm happy to create the rules for a Buy and Sell sticky thread. I'm not interested in monitoring it into the future - and it will need monitoring.

Any of you guys want to take it on?

For example, the purpose would be to post what you have to sell, and what you want to buy. There would have to be rules or it will get out of hand.

Before we post the thread, we need to understand how it will work.

I have two burning questions:

- how do we deal with what could be a bunch of queries, questions and answers, posted in the same thread about one article for sale? Do we delete them later? Do we restrict queries to be the responsibility of the seller and the person interested to communicate via email? Or what?

- how do we insist that the owner indicate that the item has been sold? Do we stipulate that once sold, the seller must go back into their original post and mention that the piece has been sold? What happens if people don't understand and go back into their original post and delete the description all together and not mention it has been sold (which would end up confusing everyone)?
Russ K.
user 3929906
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 367
Could be all that's needed is a clear expiry date: like, all posts older than 1 month are removed. Posts are removed when the designated organizer gets around to it - which means that some posts will persist for a little longer than 1 month, but so what?

On the queries question, let 'em build up in the thread - they'll get deleted more-or-less in a reasonable timeframe anyway, and if readers get confused reading queries on deleted or sold items, so what?

On the "sold" question, I'd say (as usual) ignore it. If the seller gets bombarded with buy-side requests after the item is sold, they'll be motivated to mark-as-sold or delete their post. If not, the post will get deleted in due course anyway.

I guess I like keeping things simple, especially for organizers. smile

cheers,
Russ

Angela R
Miradora
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 61
Rather than post queries, interested buyers can send a message directly to the seller through the meetup messaging system. Later, both parties need to share their info in order to meet and view the items. That's how it's done on another site I belong to (non-photography) and I haven't noticed any problems.
They have a message thread called "The Buy and Sell and Trading Company. POST YOUR ADS HERE" and it's been very successful. It can also be used for "looking to buy" items.
Trish
VanPhoto
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 508
Thanks Angela! Does there seem to be anyone monitoring the thread you mention, and delete old items? Do people remove the "ads" themselves or update with a "SOLD" comment? Also, do people ask questions in the thread even though it's not meant to be that way?
Thank you!!! :)
Angela R
Miradora
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 62
The organizer runs a tight ship and handles everything. The only strict rule is that ads get posted on that thread only. Sometimes people add a sold comment. Sometimes they will ask the organizer to delete the post but that doesn't happen often. The new comments get added to the end and the thread is several pages long now. Most people know to jump to the last page to read the most recent post. Also, as with any new post, an email is sent out with the direct link. I've seen people ask questions but it was not a problem. It's pretty loose. There's only one or two ads in a month. I really don't think you need to worry. cool