The Vancouver Photography Meetup Group Message Board Messages from the Organizer › Smaller, more frequent outings as well?

Smaller, more frequent outings as well?

Trish
VanPhoto
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Hi everyone!

I need your input.

I'm down for organizing a big field trip every 4 to 6 weeks in the fair weather months where we there's no limit to the number of people coming out. These events are posted with 3 weeks' advance notice and we all go and do something fun together as a big group. For example, last time we all went to the Reifel Bird Sanctuary and that was fantastic. And our upcoming Summer Night Market is sure to be a great time.

But I'm struggling.

I can't hold more than one big outing per month. It's just too much work. But... what about smaller outings in between?

Do you think it would be okay to follow my heart and post a walk with a limit of 15 to 20 people, and with shorter notice (a few days to a week in advance)?

What that means is: say, I post a walk on a Thursday evening, or a Saturday morning, and I only give a few days or a week in advance depending on my erratic schedule. I limit the number of people to 15. Then, you get the announcement. If you get the announcement early in the day, and you want to go, then you sign up. If you get the announcement later in the day or the next day and the event is full... what will you think? Will you hate me? Will you wish that more people could go? Would you want to wait for the next time? Would you think that there should be a greater frequency of these small outings?

Please tell me your thoughts.

Thank you!!!

-Trish

PS, if there's anyone out there who has a burning desire to learn the ropes and hold events themselves, I'm really open to having more Event Organizers step forward to lead outings for the group as well. Particularly these small outings that I would love to hold much more frequently if it's something that you all want to participate in. :)
seebak (.
user 21002711
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 4
Hi Trish,

I think this is a great idea!

One of the main reasons I joined Meetup was to meet other people who may be interested in doing short notice excursions.

Chris
Russ K.
user 3929906
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 366
Hows about it gang? Would you be interested in leading meetups if you could limit the number of participants and control the amount of advance notice? Taking some load off Trish is in everyone's best interests. smile

cheers,
Russ
Confusion C.
user 3160827
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 237
I think smaller, more frequent outings would be great! There are other photography meet-up groups that meet every second week or so, and they're always packed. One usually has a 50 people limit, and the other smaller one has a limit of 15 people.
jim h.
user 13156069
Langley, BC
Post #: 4
Of course anybody who got left out would hate you, but they would forgive you eventually.

Overall, I think it would be a great idea. The short notice might help make attendance self-limiting. But, going beyond that, you could set a rule that says if you have attended an outing you shouldn't sign up for the next one unless there are still openings the day before. This would give more people a chance to attend some of the outings.
Artur S.
user 46628142
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 1
Hi everyone!

Every Saturday after 7.00 pm I'm around English Bay,Stanley Park if there is more people who want to come out and enjoy the sunset I'll be happy to have you along.

Cheers.

Peter H
user 11473968
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 40
Hi Trish. The "more frequent meetups" part sounds good to me. :-) But the part about limiting the size has me a little concerned. These are usually 'walk abouts' at public places. To me more is better. Arranging Coffee/Lunch afterward seems to be where the problem comes in.
Trish
VanPhoto
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 507
Thanks to everyone for their interest and taking time to provide input. I am very grateful for the show of support and many words of encouragement.

In addition to the 5 responses above, to date I have also received 18 emails, many with supportive comments and very detailed and helpful suggestions, and a few that included outright demands for what I should and shouldn't do. Overall, I felt it was enlightening to understand your expectations.

Here's a summary of the common points in your responses:

• All responses indicate that members would be very happy to have MORE events to choose from.
  • Very few of the responses had a concern with short lead time or "spontaneous" notice.
  • About half of the responses indicate that I should generally offer events when I can, based on my own desires; and others will adapt.
  • There were 7 respondents who indicated that restricting the number of participants should be up to me, according to what I feel I can handle, and not to worry about it.
  • There were 5 respondents who think I should have approximately one or two small events per week, and if I did then restricting the numbers would be okay because they could always catch a future event if one filled up.
  • Of the total responses, 3 members think that I should NOT restrict the number of participants in an event, if held in open spaces (unless clearly justified).
  • One member offered possible help with organizing smaller events

I think there's no getting around upsetting some folks who won't be able to understand that it takes a lot of work to setup and plan, and lead once on site, an outing with a large number of people.

So... I think the best way to proceed is organically. And the focus should not be on ourselves, or the details, or theory. Our focus needs to be on supporting the organic changes toward more frequent events... and to create momentum through your support and help.

At this time, I want to encourage anyone who might want to help out by leading "smaller" events to please step forward now. For myself, I will plan to post a smaller outing with shorter notice here and there as my time and inclination allow, and I will encourage and help and support any new Event organizers who step up to do the same. Smaller events are easier to manage... they are easier to setup, easier to communicate before/during/after the event; and, it's generally more fun to be able to offer to lead events that come from the heart and not from a sense of obligation.

I believe that it's the right thing to do for us all to focus on supporting a movement for more frequent, smaller, more spontaneous events. More Event organizers will step up. More events will be created. It may not meet everyone's needs at first, but as we continue to support this, we'll create a momentum. And it will be this momentum that will carry the group and remove any perceived burden from any one of us at any given time. :)

Thanks everyone! This has been a very inspiring and fruitful discussion.