addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Vancouver Photography Meetup Group Message Board Challenges, Workshops & Field Trip Ideas › Beautiful British Columbia Magazine Photography Contest

Beautiful British Columbia Magazine Photography Contest

Wendy
PacificWest
North Vancouver, BC
Post #: 1
I received a complimentary Beautiful British Columbia magazine and they are holding a cross Canada Photography contest. It runs until February 20, 2013. So, lots of time to pick your three best digital images under four categories. They are: Nature, Adventure, Scenic and Culture. Prizes are cameras, honourable mentions, annual subscription. Top prize is a Fujifilm's X=S1 Camera. The link to register to submit any photos is: bcmag.ca/photocontest
Thought folks would like to know.
Wendy
Trish
TrishR
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 580
Thanks Wendy.

I don't want to be a downer, but it's important to really understand what you're giving up when you enter photography contents.

Usually, by submitting photos for contests, you are giving away most of the rights to the photo you are submitting. Having said that, if you don't care about using your submitted photos for any other purpose (other than personal), then it's not going to be an issue.

If you're concerned or if you're not clear, best to be sure to find and read the all the fine print (which are sometimes in multiple obscure or not easily found places), or even ask questions about copyrights before you submit your best works.

smile
Angela R
Miradora
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 79
I was thinking about entering this. This is a great magazine. I've read the last 3 issues and it is full of info for taking potential photo safaris in BC. (They dropped the word Beautiful by the way, it's just British Columbia Magazine)

But the devil's in the details and you should read all the rules and regulations. This contest doesn't seem as bad as some others I've seen where they charge a lot of money for each entry or they own your image forever.

It states that they will have the right to use your image royalty free until the end of 2016 but you do get credited... But first you have to win! For those of us who toil in obscurity the exposure alone may be worth it.

http://www.bcmag.ca/p...­
Wendy
PacificWest
North Vancouver, BC
Post #: 2
Thanks for the comments, Trish and Angela,
As I've never entered a photography contest previously, the input is appreciated.
Angela R
Miradora
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 81
Here's a great example: http://ngm.nationalge...­

Read: HOW TO ENTER then scroll down to LICENSE shock
Russ K.
user 3929906
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 375
One other gotcha is: many contests put you on the hook for obtaining all necessary releases for people or things appearing in your pictures. They don't actually check, but the contest rules contain an indemnity clause that puts you on the hook anyways. If you don't have many possessions that can be seized in the case of a lawsuit, that might be ok - but if you have any real assets, and you don't have releases, there could be serious trouble.

cheers,
Russ