addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Vancouver Photography Meetup Group Message Board Messages from the Organizer › Re Message Board Etiquette

Re Message Board Etiquette

Trish
TrishR
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 270
The following is not aimed at anybody in particular, but now is probably a good time to set down a few expectations for behaviour on our message boards.

With respect to posting messages on our message board, all members shall:

• Maintain a place where we value mutual respect whilst sharing ideas and information.
  • Ensure their comments are helpful and generous toward others.
  • Refrain from using the message board for commercial or personal exploitation.
  • During debates or whilst employing humour, ensure comments do not have undertones of personal criticism or judgement.
  • Ensure comments do not result in any other member feeling bad about themselves, their chioices, or about where they are in the learning curve.

Thanks. Contact me if you have any questions.

Trish
A former member
Post #: 22
Whats the deal on posting images, do we have a limited amount of space? Are you trying to keep the number of photos in the monthly grouping to a limited number? Can we encourage more posting of photos? What about our profile pics, should we keep them to a certain number?

Cheers,
Cinto
A former member
Post #: 7
Sorry Trish, I know that comes in my direction, or more I accept it as such. Thanks for the heads up.

Mike
Trish
TrishR
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 275
Thanks Mike, for your humility and for saying something so bold in front of the group! But actually I didn't have any one person in mind when I posted this.

There have been a few things going on but it's obvious the intentions of all who post have never been anything but honourable...

Truly I had two things in mind: I felt that I'd rather reiterate plainly that it is the intention of this group to maintain a helpful and kind attitude toward others including on the message boards (and I think we do a great job this already! really!), plus, I felt that if I had to say something to somebody at some time in the future, I'd have at least a few points in this post to fall back on.

Thanks again and all the best!

Trish
A former member
Post #: 41
Hi ya Trish et al,

Well, I know it can't be mecool simply because the only time I am snarky, rude, opinionated, biased, etc....
is when people meet me in personshock.

biggrin

Jack
A former member
Post #: 28
Discussion is good. there's been more post here in the last couple of weeks than I've ever seen. I don't take anything thats posted on a camera discussion board personally, and I hope no one else does. Sometimes it's hard to say what you feel when posting short messages. I find that if I re-read a lot of my posts where I'm TRYING to be funny it just comes across as smug or cheeky. How can you decide how to take a statement when you can hear the tone with which it's delivered? I reread a lot of posts and they say different thing depending on how I read them, they can be so ambiguous. I mean most of the time people feel the need to put a smiley face at the end of any sentence that might sound critical :) . Also I'm not the greatest typer so I tend to be blunt and maybe not "soften" my delivery like I would in speech. Anyway I like or discussions on equipment and other things photographic, they make me think about some of the decisions I've made and why. Thanks to you guys for that.

Cheers,
Cinto

P.S. I'd like to encourage more people to start posting more pics. Maybe we can start some discussions on them.