The Vancouver Photography Meetup Group Message Board General Discussion › wow really good deal on Tamron 18-270

wow really good deal on Tamron 18-270

Susan
user 8699164
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 11
Anyone have experience with this? I have been looking out for a good deal on the Nikon 18-300 for my safari trip next June. I wanted a 1 lens solution since I won't have time to play with changing lens. The Nikon lens runs about 1000 bucks and it's a heavier beast. The Tamron...well it's a Tamron ;) and, it's 18-270. But there's currently a $100 rebate on this lens from Tamron and it's on sale for $599 almost everywhere except Bestbuy which has it for $779.99 which means price match time :) It seems too good of a deal to pass up so I ordered it and sent in a PM request. If all goes well this will end up cost me <500 bucks. Anyone have any exp with this? I understand it's not going to be the best lens with such a wide range but I'm more interested in how much worse this is compared to the Nikon.
Grant
user 7534310
Wasaga Beach, ON
Post #: 9
Hi Susan, my Nikon shooting friend was in Africa last year and wishes she had either rented or borrowed a bright zoom like the 300mm f2.8 or the 70-200mm f2.8. She has the 17-35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and the 70-300mm f4-5.6 but found that there was often too little light to make shots with the 70-300mm - many of the wildlife shots are either under the jungle canopy or at twilight when the animals are active. She didn't mention that switching lenses was a huge deal, but she's pretty quick at it.

Hope this helps.

Grant
Samuel Quo V.
SamQuoVadis
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 20
Susan, there's nothing wrong with Tamron. I have a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens and it's great. Very sharp and much less expensive than the Canon equivalent. I've met other photographers who have this lens or have had it and they have nothing but praise for it. Third party doesn't necessarily mean lower quality. (Canon and Nikon make some pretty poor lenses as well as great ones.)
Susan
user 8699164
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 12
I only had my 18-105mm (kit lens) with me when I was in South Africa in June I really wish I had a bigger zoom lens! Now I got the 70-300mm but I discovered it's a real PITA to have to change lens all the time. Your friend is prob good I'm a real clutz if I had to change lenses all the time I would prob break something ;)

Been keeping my eye out for the new Nikon 18-300mm but that is soo $$$. hey I got the PM! Was on the phone with Bestbuy for a while this morning while they checked prices. I used downtowncamera.com they have the same lens for $579 vs $780 in BB. So this means I'm getting it for $780-220- 560 bucks :) And then I'm gonna get the $100 rebate!! :)

Looks like I got the last one with the Nikon mount (it's sold out now) but they still have the Canon ones available. Those who are interested go get this deal fast before BB drop their prices!! :)

Samuel, thanks, I wasn't really dissing Tamron in general. I was just asking how this compares to the Nikon 18-300mm which I read some good reviews about. I myself am not a big fan of Tamron (don't flame me please ;) because I their lens feel cheap - it's a personal thing ok ;) But I just don't have $1k to spend on that so I guess beggars can't be choosers :)
Samuel Quo V.
SamQuoVadis
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 22
LOL Not going to flame you, Susan.

If Tamron's lenses feel cheap it's only because you don't have experience with their higher quality lenses. Tamron, Tokina and Sigma all make lenses that feel cheap. But so do Canon and Nikon. I own one. The Canon 50mm f/1.8. Cheap plastic body.

I'm only saying don't discount third party manufacturers as sometimes they manufacture lenses that are superior or equal to their Canon and Nikon equivalents but at a lower price.

Congratulations on finding a good price on the lens you were looking for. smile
David B.
user 10187480
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 6
I don't know anything about the latest Tamron lenses. I had a few Tamron lenses (and probably still have) for my Fujica film SLR and I was happy with their performance.

I bought the 18-300 Nikkor lens for my Nikon D300 when the lens first appeared since it was exactly the range I was looking for. I have been extremely satisfied with it. In fact, it is rarely off my camera except when I'm specifically out photographing birds and for that I use a Sigma 150-500mm. The 18-300 Nikkor has an extra advantage that I wasn't aware of when I bought it: it focusses at distances of about 2 feet or less, much closer than the 70-300 Nikkor I bought with my D300. So it is a decent macro lens as well as zooming from wide angle to telephoto. The only downside is the weight. The combined weight of my D300 plus the 18-300 lens is 4.6 pounds. Sometimes that feels like a lot after a long day of photography. But it saves having to carry around a couple of lenses. I think the 18-300 is well worth the price for a general purpose zoom lens. I've taken some really great photos with it.

You should be aware that moderately priced zoom lenses are generally not very fast. The 18-300 is 3.5-5.6 so you'll need high ISO in low light conditions. If you're planning on doing a lot of low light photography then you should think about a collection of fast prime lenses. Of course that is a lot more expensive than one good zoom lens and you have to be prepared to change lenses when you need to. Personally, I love the ability to be taking a wide angle photo of scenery at one moment and the next moment zooming in on a bird in flight.
Phil D.
user 35109152
Abbotsford, BC
Post #: 1
Hi Susan
I don't know where in Africa you are going but my experience last year in Tanzania taught me that you do not want to be changing lenses AT ALL. The dust in the air is incredible and you will be travelling in either an open sided vehicle or one with a retractable roof. Sometimes the dust will pour in the vehicle as you come to a stop. Bring a towel and keep it over the camera while not in use. I borrowed a Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 lens and it ended up with dust inside it. Obviously I paid to have it cleaned for my friend which cost $365. If you don't feel you can afford the Nikkor lens consider renting one. The cost usually includes any cleaning required after you return it. I would advise taking 2 cameras one with a shorter lens and the other with the telephoto. That way you don't have to change lenses and you have a backup in case one fails. Take extra batteries as many of the tented camps run on solar power plus generators and the generators get turned off at night. Trust me you will need a medium lens ( in my case a Canon 24-105) as more often than not the animals will be close to the vehicle. If you have any more questions please email me at philip-dyer@shaw.ca Hope this helps.
Cheers
Phil
Russ K.
user 3929906
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 382
I can echo Phil's comments with the additional: if you are going anywhere near the deserts, the dust problem is even worse - the dry air, combined with the extremely fine sand of the Sahara leads to a lot of clingy static electricity - which makes the dust very hard to get off any surface - including the front glass of lenses. I'd consider keeping your gear inside zip-loc bags whenever it isn't in use. BTW - be ready for the inside of your camera bag to start looking like the Sahara, too. The Kalahari has the additional problem of salt, which also gets everywhere. These are crazy dangerous environments for cameras, especially electronic ones. Take special care!

cheers,
Russ
Susan
user 8699164
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 13
wow thanks for the comments!! I was there this past June in Kapama Buffalo Camp near Krueger park. I had a great time but I only had my 18-105 kit lens - almost useless there! I'm going back for Comrades again next June thinking to go to a game reserve again haven't decided where yet but it would prob be the same area. I toyed with the idea of doing Kilimanjaro and visiting the game reserves there but the flight from Durban is just too $$$ and Kilimanjaro didn't look as challenging as I had hoped. So I will prob stay around the Joburg area since there's where I'm transferring from. I don't rem it being that dusty as we were in a very high jeep. But still I wouldn't want to change lens on bouncing jeep! And you never know when a leopard might come prancing over :) That is why I'm looking for a lens with a wide range so I won't need to change. Since June I've gotten myself a 70-300mm which I love and took it recently to Australia and got some pretty great pics (well great for my standards ;) of birds and koalas etc but I found myself constantly changing lens I almost dropped my camera once. I can't afford 2 good camera bodies and I would prob upgrade my D7000 before thinking to get another even tho the D7000 is already overkill for me ;)

Where do you guys rent lens in Vancouver? I would love to try some lens out for fun.
Russ K.
user 3929906
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 384
Beau Photo. Ask for Jason. :-) http://www.beauphoto.com/­ Be warned - their opening hours Mon-Fri 8:30-5, except Thu open to 7. They mostly serve the local pros - but they have everything.

cheers,
Russ