The Vancouver Photography Meetup Group Message Board Challenges, Workshops & Field Trip Ideas › Aurora Borealis in Whitehorse

Aurora Borealis in Whitehorse

Judith
JustJude
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 7
Hi, all!

Has anyone been to Yukon (Whitehorse) to photograph the aurora borealis? If so, did you book a tour or drive out on your own in search of aurora activity? I'm trying to decide whether to do my own thing or better to have a tour guide taking care of driving and details so I can just focus on the light show and setup for my shots. If you went on your own, any tips or advice on best spots to check out and setup for shots?

Planning on going next weekend.

Thanks. smile
Russ K.
user 3929906
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 390
I'd go out on my own - so as not to be tied to others' schedules. Wendy and I have seen amazing auroral displays in Watson Lake as well as Whitehorse. It's best to get out of town (away from the lights) and high to get a good view , especially to the north.

cheers,
Russ
Judith
JustJude
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 8
Thanks, Russ! I know I need to get out of downtown/city centre to get better views. In fact, the tour companies mentioned they drive out about 20-30 mins outside of downtown area. The tour guides probably know the best spots for viewing, but I'm not sure if it's worth $125 for the tour. I think I will rent a car and venture out on my own.

Cheers! smile