The Vancouver Photography Meetup Group Message Board Messages from the Organizer › Update, gearing up to our 8th Year

Update, gearing up to our 8th Year

Trish
VanPhoto
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Hi everyone!

As we prepare to enter our 8th year of operation and nearing 2400 members, and because I'm feeling high after an amazing virtual challenge, I think it's time for an update on activities and news...

We have enjoyed an average of 1 or 2 in-person outings or workshops each month and more in the summer. We have regular challenges. Which means we're meeting the goals we initially set out in 2006 (read more about all this in the Group Guidelines).

And we're slowly building membership and attendance: after a spike in activity about this time last year we're holding steady with nearly 500 members active on the site each month which is up from a steady 250 active members running for several years prior.

The overall feeling that the group maintains is a nice, relaxed momentum. From time to time, we are blessed that one or two members jump in and hold super fun events and then duck out of sight and back into their lives again. This is a trend that has gone on since the beginning with Rina's big walks, and recently Nick's concert shoots, Holly's hike on the North Shore, and currently with Ronald's Model event -- and so much more in between. A huge shout out to all the members who have led out events, past and present!

We are seeing a shift in the group with many more experienced and pro members in our midst, which is wonderful but I'm aware this has a dual effect: the positives are huge... those of us who are new to photography are rapidly learning because of the interaction with those more experienced... which is amazing. We have many, very experienced photographers currently active in our group and they are here to share what they know with others. Cool, isn't it? The shadow side of this, however, is that beginners can feel extremely intimidated and a left out of conversations and some workshops which are geared to experienced members. And while some may feel that the group has become a little "cliquey" over the past couple of years, I can assure you all that every member of this group, many of whom I know quite well, are here because they have "heart". You all stay on because there is very little "ego" being projected on others.

I believe in and hold fast that we're all here because we are following our original group mandate, "We aim to regularly seek information and share our knowledge freely, collaborate to create excellent experiences for learning, to make friends, and to help each other realize our own creative potential."

I also think that we made a good decision a couple of years ago to honour those who are just starting out with our "no critiquing" policy in our Group Guidelines. It really has a lot to do with the gentle ambiance we enjoy in this group. That we have agreed not to critique each others' work unless explicitly asked, adds to the gentle approach we have with each other here.

OK, onto some light business...

The powers that be at Meetup.com have decided that they would like to standardize the "look" of the Meetup group pages, which means that we'll soon have to conform and we'll be getting a new "skin" to our group site. New colours, new look. Same functionality, same layout, just different colours. So, stay tuned for that. I might try on a few options from the feeble few they're offering before I settle on one I like. So, if you're on the site and you see a rapid fire of changes, don't be alarmed. It's just me changing my mind before making a final decision. Once it's stable, let me know if you see something that annoys or confounds you about the new look. All this will happen in the next couple of weeks.

As always, I'm in the market for helpers. If you are interested in leading out small or large groups on photo walks... anywhere... please get in touch with me. :)

And, again as always, shoot me a private note if you have thoughts about anything!

That's it!

Stay tuned for more, more, more... more of the same, and more new stuff too!

Best wishes everyone!

Trish
James
user 72692732
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 1
Hi Trish.
I am new in this group, will join Sunday's model shoot for my first time. I am happy to read your message feel the group is very well organised. I am plan to visit Garibaldi Lake this summer for landscape shoot, I am thinking shall we suggest a photowalk to Garibaldi Lake in our group this summer a weekend .
Trish
VanPhoto
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 626
I am plan to visit Garibaldi Lake this summer for landscape shoot, I am thinking shall we suggest a photowalk to Garibaldi Lake in our group this summer a weekend .

Hi James, welcome to the group and thanks for your positive remarks.

If you're interested in leading out a walk to Garibaldi Lake, that would be awesome! Please PM me with details and I'll help you.

-Trish