addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Vancouver Photography Meetup Group Message Board Messages from the Organizer › Don't take your AOs for granted

Don't take your AOs for granted

Rina
user 3929613
North Vancouver, BC
Post #: 227
As an Assistant Organizer for several Meetup groups, I find it annoying that members of this site feel the need to post such negative comments if they have an unsatisfactory experience at an event. (Couldn't find the group, etc.)
I do my best to be precise when posting where we will meet, often scoping the place out in advance to make sure I can describe it accurately. Often I include links in the event posting to pinpoint it if it doesn't have a street address (such as most parks & green spaces.) Inevitably, I get asked "Where are we meeting?" and every time it's all there if you read the whole post.
If you should miss the group at an event, please endeavour to enjoy the day anyway.
If you feel it necessary to post something negative about the event, please do it tactfully. Keep in mind that not all events happen exactly as posted due to the fluid nature of group dynamics. Please refrain from outright criticism in the public forum. That hurts my feelings.
Personally, when I get a load of vitriol from a member who has a bone to pick about an event, I am disinclined to post any more events for the group as a whole. I can handle constructive criticism if its gently worded but a verbal attack is unwarranted; just like all the volunteer AOs, my time and effort to post events should not be taken for granted. If you do that, I simply withdraw my efforts and post fewer things on the calendar.
To the other AOs who work hard to post and host successful events, I say a heartfelt Thank You.
To anyone who takes us for granted, I suggest you try organizing an event and see how you cope with the challenges and greivances.
Walk a mile in another man's moccasins before you voice criticism.
Russ K.
user 3929906
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 273
Hi Rina,

I, for one, admire your energy and thoughtfulness for posting and organizing so many meetups. Your posts are extraordinarily complete, and have a caring and attention to detail that few can match. It would be a great loss for the meetup world to lose you for the thoughtlessness of a few malcontents. One thing I have learned from a great many years of leadership: there are always critics, but few volunteers.

cheers,
Russ
A former member
Post #: 291
I can only echo Russ's feelings and think you are doing a great job. Although I don't attend the meetups I can see that you are very dedicated and unfortunately whenever you are a 'leader' of any sort you will always get some misdirected criticism, even if you are volunteering your time. Volunteers are definitely the unsung heroes in our society.
Trish
TrishR
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 396
Thanks Rina for voicing your concerns and for helping our members to understand what happens when negative feedback is voiced without due care and respect.

As an organizer for many groups for several years now, I can say that all of the events that you've led have been exemplary in planning with careful descriptions of the events and meeting spots in the invitations -- and your care and attention to all members to ensure a good time is evident in all you do for your groups.

Everyone needs to remember that this group (as with most other groups) is non-profit, and is solely supported by volunteers (such as Rina), and the ONLY benefit to those who put effort into the group is the joy of bringing people together for fun and learning. Members are requested to help the process by being respectful and helpful rather than negative and critical.

Thanks again for all your efforts, Rina. Please call me on the phone directly at any time if you need further support with negative feedback.

Trish

A former member
Post #: 5
This (Fort Langley Cranberry Festival) was my first Meetup and it unfolded very well, just as planned...thanks Rina!

http://denisimages.bl...­

Jack S.
user 9198037
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 25
I would have had a much better time if I had gone (to Fort
Langley) on the proper day sad ... for whatever reason ... my
brain had it as today (Sunday Oct 11th) shock ... but, at least,
I didn't have to battle the crowds today wink

Cheers,

Jack ...confused, as always, in Vancouver
A former member
Post #: 2
Hey Rina! I have only had the good fortune of attending once ... and it was the best experience ever! Dream of attending again! Keep up the great work!! Cheers! ... Alex.
Bri
BriM
Langley, BC
Post #: 15
Hi Rina,

I've been to a number of meetups and sometimes you miss each other. It happens. I always go out with the attitude of "if they're there and we can meet, great, if not, there's always something to do" and continue my day.

S*** happens, you just have to roll with it. That's life - it's not easy, it's not predictable - and generally - that's also when you get the best memories (and photos).

You're doing a great job and I look forward to many more meet-ups. To you and the organizer and all of the assistant organizers - it's generally a pretty "thankless" job, and I'd like to say thank you for the effort that each of you has made for this group. I'd be willing to put it out there that 99% of us are really appreciative of your effort. Those that have b***hed about things, probably were having a bad day.

Bri
Jack S.
user 9198037
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 32
As per usual, there is ALWAYS one baaastud who forgets, decides the weather is cr@p or would rather sleep
in (no matter how late meet up) and in most cases that is person of interest is me crying .........and today was no
exception ..... I forgot and went to a movie sad ... so, once again, I will apologise for beg for (a tiny bit of) forgiveness.

Cheers,

Jack Simpson