The Victoria Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Chimpanzee photographer's work sells at auction

Chimpanzee photographer's work sells at auction

A former member
Post #: 39
Sorry couldn't resist posting this... ;o))

http://petapixel.com/...­
Alan
user 4699985
Victoria, BC
Post #: 113
I saw this and thought, "Really?"
I mean some of the images are kind of cool, but I would not call them "Art"
Bev A.
BevAnne
Victoria, BC
Post #: 29
I don't understand why anyone would pay anything for these. Who would want to live with them on their walls? And I am wasting my time just thinking about it!!!
A former member
Post #: 21
saw this already and posted a little of my dismay on fb
I just don't get it :(
Marcia and Mike Ne...
wolfnowl
Victoria, BC
Post #: 664
I've seen paintings by gorillas and elephants, but this doesn't quite cut it.

Mike.
A former member
Post #: 40
Trying to see some humour in it!! ;o))
Alan
user 4699985
Victoria, BC
Post #: 114
I think Photographers are a bit defensive in light of some recent trends. For example, the Chicago newspaper laying off all their photographers and handing iphones to their reporters. Some people don't understand how hard it is to get a good photo, and this just adds fuel to that fire.
I do think it is cute, and a couple of the images may be aesthetically pleasing, but I wish I could sell my work for somewhere near that price...
Vadym G.
user 48372052
Victoria, BC
Post #: 38
After seeing this having been bought for the mind-boggling $4, 338.500 and becoming the most expensive photo ever sold, I stopped assigning any significance to sales as a measure of the artistic merit.

Marcia and Mike Ne...
wolfnowl
Victoria, BC
Post #: 671
True enough. Of course, the Canadian Art Museum in Ottawa paid $2.5M for red painting with a blue stripe down the center, and a similar price for a red painting with 4 white squares painted on it. I must admit I don't understand the significance of art in that context.
Nathan D.
nderksen
Victoria, BC
Post #: 82
... I must admit I don't understand the significance of art in that context.
I'm not sure those buyers do either.