addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Victoria Photography Meetup Group Message Board › what would be a good wide angle lens for my rebel t2i?

what would be a good wide angle lens for my rebel t2i?

Jianping R.
jianping.roth
Victoria, BC
Post #: 11
I am considering buying a wide angle lens for my trips to Tibet and Greek Isles soon. I heard a prime lens should be a good choice for me because it has good optics and lower cost.
John P.
user 12011982
Victoria, BC
Post #: 44
Primes are excellent, but for travel work, I prefer zooms for their versatility. One of the most highly regarded of the third-party UWA zooms is the Tokina 11-16 f2.8.
Marcia and Mike Ne...
wolfnowl
Victoria, BC
Post #: 686
Yes, primes tend to be smaller, lighter and faster than zooms, but zooms are certainly more versatile. Depending on your budget and desires (how wide do you want to go?) you could consider something like the Canon 16-35, or a mid-wide-angle to moderate telephoto like a 24-70. Sigma and Tamron make some very good third-party lenses as well. One place to get lens reviews is at: http://www.dxomark.co...­

This might also be of use, since your camera has an APS-C sensor: http://www.dxomark.co...­

Mike.
Jianping R.
jianping.roth
Victoria, BC
Post #: 12
Thank you John and Mike. I am thinking one of 24-70/f2.8, 16-35/2.8 or Tokina 11-16 f2.8 (heard from John the first time), but having a hard time deciding.

Went to Lens and Shutter after the parade (July 7) and found Tokina 11-16 f2.8 is out of stock. Now I am heavily leaning toward getting a Tokina 11-16 f2.8 because of my crop sensor.
Marcia and Mike Ne...
wolfnowl
Victoria, BC
Post #: 687
Well, the 16-35, the 11-16 and the 24-70 are just three examples of what's out there, covering a VERY large range of focal lengths. Remember that since you're using a crop-sensor camera the 'effective' focal length will be 1.6x, so a 50mm lens on a full-frame sensor camera becomes an 80mm lens on your camera. The 11-16mm lens for example on a full-frame camera would become ~18-26mm on your camera. What does that mean in 'real' terms? Well, on any given camera a 'normal' lens is one that renders a scene roughly the way your eye does. On a full frame sensor that is roughly 45-55mm (say 50mm), whereas on a medium format camera a normal lens is in the range of about 80mm. On your camera a 35mm lens would be in the 'normal' range. Taking that as a base, anything wider (smaller numbers) than that will yield more of a field of view than your eye can see. Anything with bigger numbers would be in the telephoto range, magnifying what your eye sees. A 70mm lens on your camera would essentially give you a 2x magnification, whereas an 18mm lens would give you a 0.5x view, or a field of view roughly double what you would normally see. Generally speaking, the farther you get from 'normal' in either direction, the more specialized the lens becomes.

With wide angle lenses you get a wider field of view, but this comes with its own tradeoffs such as distortion. If you walk down to Dallas Road with a wide angle lens for example and make a photograph of the Washington horizon across the strait, unless it runs dead through the center of the frame with the camera leveled the horizon will appear curved. With wide angle lenses, objects closer to the camera will appear to be magnified, whereas those further away will appear smaller than they are. You know how, on the right side mirror of your car it say, "Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear"? Same thing. One can either embrace the distortion artistically or reduce/remove it using post-processing software, but it helps to know what to expect. Moose Winans (different than the other photographer, Moose Peterson) has a blog post from 2012 on t2i compatible lenses, here: http://www.cameratips...­

Mike.
Jianping R.
jianping.roth
Victoria, BC
Post #: 13
Hi Mike,

Rebel came with a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens; although 18 is wide enough, the lens produces a huge distortion that I really do not like. I thought a better quality wide angle lens may help to reduce the distortion. Sounds like the distortion is unavoidable.

Jianping
Terry Z.
TerryZlot
Victoria, BC
Post #: 43
If you don't need the weather sealing or f2.8 speed of the L series glass I'd suggest the 15-85. It's not brilliant at 85mm but is extremely sharp and distortion free on the wide to normal range. At 15mm sharpness is second to none (sharper than either the 10-22 or 16-35).

I find thedigitalpicture.com to have some excellent reviews as well as a great resolution comparison tool - simply mouse over the chart to switch between lenses. Make sure when using the tool you select the same body for both lenses wherever possible... comparing full frame to the 1.6 crop sensors is very misleading. Here are a couple of links:
15-85 review
15-85 vs 16-35 f5.6
15-85 vs 10-22 @ 15mm f5.6
Jianping R.
jianping.roth
Victoria, BC
Post #: 14
The links are very helpful, Terry:)
No, I don't need the weather sealing, nor do I need the speed of f2.8 for now. I like f2.8 because of its narrow focus range.
I just ordered a Canon EF-S 15-85mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM.
Terry Z.
TerryZlot
Victoria, BC
Post #: 44
You're welcome! I'm sure you'll love it - have a fun trip :)
James Y.
user 47531632
Group Organizer
Victoria, BC
Post #: 46
Bought my Sigma 10 -20 mm last year and I love it.