The Victoria Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Image Copyright in Canada

Image Copyright in Canada

Marcia and Mike Ne...
wolfnowl
Victoria, BC
Post #: 806
Hi Folks: This gets discussed frequently among photographers. Basically, once you click the shutter you own the copyright to your images - unless you've created a contract with a client that states otherwise.

However, that and a dollar won't buy you a coffee anymore, so if (before) someone uses your images without your permission and you need to take legal action, you need to register your images first. Registration is a way of providing proof that you own the copyright on the image. In the US photographers register their copyright through the Library of Congress, but in Canada registration is done with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office: http://www.cipo.ic.gc...­

More information is available on the site.

Mike.
Alan
user 4699985
Victoria, BC
Post #: 146
very good advice, but it still bugs me that I have to pay $50 per image to protect them...
Mikhail
user 9017253
Victoria, BC
Post #: 152
Alan: last time I checked a couple of years ago, there was a bulk registration option available in the US, electronically for unpublished images and by mail for published photos. It was open to foreigners and an unlimited number of images could be registered for one fee, $35 in case of online registration. Most images are stolen via the Internet these days: a copyright protection in the US could be quite valuable.

At that time, there was some controversy: the bulk registration process was successfully challenged in court. Not sure what the current status of that court case is. If you decide to consider the US bulk registration route, some research needs to be done first.
Marcia and Mike Ne...
wolfnowl
Victoria, BC
Post #: 807
Yes, the very idea of the internet opens its own challenges - what to do if a person or company in Australia or Lithuania uses your images. The general idea is usually to send a message (and an invoice) to the guilty party; if that doesn't work then you can send a message with a take-down order to the company hosting the site and they'll have to remove it. Beyond that, each must decide how far to go.

Mike.
Marcia and Mike Ne...
wolfnowl
Victoria, BC
Post #: 808
This was written back in 1994, but I still remember it, and it's still relevant in its own way. Predictive, one might say!