The Paris Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Visiting Paris - Dec 6 - 9

Visiting Paris - Dec 6 - 9

Judith P.
jpisconeri
Jasper, GA
Post #: 2
Anyone want to meet-up somewhere and go photograph? I'm looking for something to do, although I will explore on my own! I might head to the marche aux puces on friday or saturday...

I'm a US professional photography and college photo professor, looking for some fun photo adventures in Paris.

Let me know - email is good too! jpishne@scad.edu
SamBg
user 70257822
Paris, FR
Post #: 1
Hello Judith,

Welcome to Paris, however I'm quite curious: "why le marché aux Puces" ? (no more big deals there, the prices r sometimes higher !). You can visit "Place des Vosges in Le Marais neighborhood (Paris IV), where Victor Hugo lived, (free entrance) and however all the nice old streets of Paris (if you already know the main & touristic places of Paris: Eiffel tower etc ...), you can visit the old Montmartre (by walking down Montmartre 30 mn you can reach the flee markets in Porte de Clignancourt (watch out your camera, I'm also a Canon 5D user) ... Did you know, we have 15 free museums in Paris which could you lead towards nice places and streets to visit (also visit inside buildings, you can find lovely & peaceful courtyards to photograph, that's the hidden charm of Paris ! Free museums in Paris http://www.paris.fr/e...­ ... have a nice visit !
Richard B.
Richard_Paris
Paris, FR
Post #: 6
SCAD, eh?

Folks at SCAD were very good to me when I toured the South (stopped in Savannah) with one of my poetry collections in 2005, so you can get some payback, if you'd like.

The Paris street art scene is absolutely marvelous; here's some of my and my wife's coverage of it <http://parisplay.squa...­. I trust it would fascinate someone from a college of art and design.

If you're free the afternoon of the seventh, I can take you for a walk around some of the hot spots. Depending on how many frames you want to shoot, it can take from two to four hours, and covers four arrondissements that most people don't get to when they are here for a short time. Pray for no rain.

If you're interested, leave a note here, and we can then correspond through private e-mail.

--Richard
Judith P.
jpisconeri
Jasper, GA
Post #: 3
Thanks SamBg, - I have been to Paris quite a few times, but not since 2006. Not really interested in buying much at 'le marche aux Puces' just photos really - had not been there for more than 10 years - thanks for the advice on watching my camera (I am aware of the numerous pickpockets, etc. throughout the Paris tourist & busy areas). I have walked much of Paris, from the Marais to the Champs Elysee, from the Eiffel Tower to Montparnasse to the Latin Quarter and more. I have visited many of the museums and tourist sites - I will check out the free museums on your list - always interested in something new. Thanks!
SamBg
user 70257822
Paris, FR
Post #: 2
You're welcome Judith, try Montmartre then (I don't know if they started their Xmas local market yet, that could be nice to photograph). I "ve been living in Montmartre for 22 years now. Well the Flea Market r not far from here if you like walking (Flea Market working on the week end only: Porte de Clignancourt metro station), you can walk up to metro Lamarck and you'll find the stairs for Montmartre ...
NB: I often take my little camera Sony too (and hide my Canon 5D), just in case ! (according to the neighborhoods but also in Paris we can't photograph easily sometimes (the vigils or the police don't like that, sometimes we r not allowed at all, the French law regarding photography is a bit more complicated than in the US), then I use my small one (more discret, I don't look professional with it even if it's a pretty good small camera, well just a tip ...) ... have fun & enjoy your days in Paris ! ;-)
Claudia
user 51842942
Paris, FR
Post #: 19
Hi, I live in Montmartre too, and as I said on another page, I never had problems with thiefs, even so I walk around Barbes , St ouen ( flea market ) and Sacre Coeur with my camera ( Canon 550 D , a rebel ... in american version ), but !! ... I looked at the photos I've taken a week ago in the parc in front of Sacre Coeur and I realized that I caught a thief in my picture !!! You can see one girl distracting the japanese tourist while another girl takes the purse out of the handbag, so beware of the girls ( and boys ) with the list they ask you to sign, your bags and pockets won't be safe, because they act in a group with members standing around them who will get the purse while the police will run after the girls ... !