The Paris Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Speed portraits... Too similar to the monthly meet?

Speed portraits... Too similar to the monthly meet?

user 46833392
Paris, FR
Post #: 2
I am trying to figure out if this is a good idea, and if so, a) would there be any interest and b) what would be the best venue/set up....

Essentially, I'd like to get a bunch of portrait experience, quickly. I don't feel any need for photogenic models, but I do want a cooperative ones.

While mulling this over, I came up with the idea of a speed portrait event. A small group breaks into pairs. One person shoots the other for 5 minutes, then they switch roles. After that, the pairs reform so that everyone is paired with someone new. So, over the course of an hour each person will have served as a model for 6 people, and had 6 x 5 minute sessions of taking portraits.

Are speed portraits even a good idea? Is 5 minutes enough time?

Group size? I suppose this only matters if everyone wants to shoot everyone. More likely the size of the venue would determine the number of participants.

Venue & timings? Where to hold such an event? It would need to be well lit, or have sufficient natural light (if during the daytime). Outdoors on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon? O

Any thoughts?