Jun 22, 2013 · 10:00 AM
This location is shown only to members
This one-day seminar taught by attorney and Chako founder Dawn Capp is geared specifically for Pit Bull owners and shelter workers who want to learn MORE than just the basics (but don't worry, we'll cover those, too!)
- 10:00 a.m. - 10:15: Introduction
- 10:15 - 11:15: What is a Pit Bull? (kennel registries, breed identification, proper temperament, and more)
- 11:15-Noon: Issues that affect Pit Bull owners (breed-specific legislation, renting, licenses, home insurance, beware of dog signs) with questions and answers.
- Noon to 12:15: Pit Bull friendly chew toys, quality foods, and can you really feed raw?
- 12:15-1:40: lunch on your own
- 1:40-2:15: Introduction to service dogs and therapy dogs
- (What's the difference? The various groups and requirements, how to get involved)
- 2:15-3:00: Temperament testing: a look at Chako's method
- 3:00-3:10: BREAK
- 3:10-3:45: Pit Bull Behavior Workshop
- 3:45-4:30: Equipment Introduction (collars, leashes, harnesses, break sticks, and more)
- 4:30-5:10: Motivation (play) training and Clicker Training
- 5:10-5:30: Shelter enrichment discussion
Humans Only. Do not bring your pet dog to this event.
Surprise giveaways for a few lucky students, as well as handouts/resource materials for all attendees. Don't miss this important all-day seminar.
Bring a note pad, pen, water, and snacks!