What most interests you about the the various French-speaking cultures? Their cuisine, their cinema, their music? Or simply the French language?
all of it, after all I am French!
If you speak French, what is your proficiency level? False beginner, advanced beginner, intermediate, advanced, native?
What types of activities are you likely to participate in? Weekly conversation groups, movie nights at a movie theatre or a member's home, brunch or dinner, potlucks at a member's home, French-lang book club, symphony/opera of France, suggestions?
all of it
If you have spent time in a French-speaking country, where was it and what was your reason for being there?
I was born there
Would you care to share an anecdote as to what first inspired your interest in French, or perhaps an interesting story from your travels abroad?
Traveling through India, I met my husband Edward, we married, and now live in the U.S.
Welcome to the Francofous de Pittsburgh Meetup Group. Our group organizes or promotes activities that include weekly conversation meetups, French-language movie showings, French-language dinners, cooking lessons in French, outings to hear opera or symphonic music of France, trips to the theater for English-language plays written by French authors, museum visits, French Scrabble game nights, and talks by experts on subjects related to the French-speaking world.
The goal is to promote the french culture in the wide sense (language, culture etc.) so that everybody is welcome to join. If you attend an old French-class long time ago and want to try to speak French again or just listen the language, you're welcome. If you do not speak French but would like to learn about the French wines and its cultures, that is perfects and you are welcome to join our wine tasting events ! The more we are, the best !
To join our group, we do ask for a few basics:
1) Please upload a profile picture so that we can recognize you. Our organizers can sometimes find you quicker than you can find them at crowded events. Walking up to strangers and asking if they are there for a meetup can yield some funny looks.
2) Please answer the profile questions so everyone can learn about the other members of our wonderful group.
3) We do everything possible to foster an open, encouraging and inclusive French language environment. Ideally, participants will have at least a rudimentary ability and desire to learn to speak this beautiful language. It is expected that French is used exclusively at certain events: weekly French conversation meetups. Beginners are always welcome also ! Of course, this is not mandatory and English people can join. However, this is better to speak english in cultural event (wine tasting, movies, etc.)
4) Our group is as good as its members and the activities it sponsors. If you hear of a French-related event in Pittsburgh or have an idea for an activity, please let one of the organizers know. We welcome interest in helping to organize/host events.
7) Out of respect to our organizers as well as the members attending a meetup, we do ask that you change your RSVP if you have to back out of an event. It is ideal if you can update 24 hours ahead, but if not, please contact the organizer (most will give their cell phone number to attendees, in case of changes). IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO POST A "NO" FOR EVENT ATTENDANCE, unless it is to show a change of plans.