Michael H.
MichaelHobson
Washington, PA
Post #: 6
This is a simple tomato chutney recipe that I like. The entire cookbook is available online for free viewing: A Higher Taste A lot of the recipes have dairy ingredients, but they are usually easy to substitute with earth balance, oil or soymilk.

6 ripe tomatoes (cut in small pieces)
1 tablespoon oil
1 small jalapeño chili (minced)
½ tablespoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
½ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons turbinado sugar
1 tablespoon coriander powder
In skillet heat oil, then add mustard seeds, chili, and ginger. Add tomato pieces. Cover and fry on medium heat for 15 minutes or until tomatoes have become a chunky sauce.

Put back in skillet and add salt, sugar, and coriander powder. Cook for 3 minutes uncovered.

serve hot or cold.

Serves 4
Tiffaney
veganmadre2
Washington, PA
Post #: 2
Since Michael thinks my Ethiopian is pretty awesome and since our little girls gobbled the Injera yesterday, I thought I'd post these recipes for two of my ultimate favorite foods - Injera and Misir Wat.

Injera (Ethiopian Flat Bread)
3 cups self-rising flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup cornmeal
1 T active dry yeast (equiv. of one package)
3 ½ cups water

*Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
*Cover and let set an hour or longer until batter rises and becomes stretchy.
*The batter can sit for as long as 3-6 hours if you need it to. (3 hrs is what I prefer)
*When you are ready, stir batter if liquid has settled on the bottom.
*In blender, whip 2 c. of batter at a time, thinning it with 1/2-3/4 c. water. Batter will be quite thin.
*Heat a 10-inch or 12-inch non-stick frying pan over medium to medium-high heat.
*Pour batter into heated pan (1/2 c. if using a 12-inch pan; 1/3 c. if using a 10-inch pan) and quickly swirl pan to spread batter as thin as possible. Batter should be no thicker than 1/8 inch.
*Do NOT turn. Injera is cooked through when bubbles appear all over the top.
*Lay each Injera on a towel for a minute or two then stack in a covered dish to keep warm. (VERY important to rest on towel before stacking!)

Misir Wat (Ethiopian Red Lentil Puree)
Servings: 4-6
2 Onions chopped
2 cloves Garlic crushed
2 t Gingerroot, peeled, minced
¼ c Oil, butter or niter kibbeh
1 t Turmeric
2 T Paprika
½ to 2 t Cayenne Pepper
1 lb Red Lentils
4 c Water or Stock
Salt & Pepper to taste

*Puree onion, garlic, and ginger in a food processor or blender.
*Heat oil, butter or niter kibbeh in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add turmeric, paprika and cayenne pepper and stir rapidly to color oil and cook spices through, about 30 seconds. Add onion puree and sauté on medium heat until excess moisture evaporates and onion loses its raw aroma, about 5-10 minutes. Do not burn.
*Add lentils and water. Bring to a boil and simmer till lentils are cooked through and fall apart, about 30-40 minutes. Add water if necessary to keep from drying out.
*Stir in salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Michael H.
MichaelHobson
Washington, PA
Post #: 21
Vegan brownies originated in Tennessee. Ever hear of that lovely huge vegan commune The Farm? Well, they published the book that is the foundation for all vegan cookbooks, The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook. In it you will find easy recipes with ingredients you probably already own. Here is the one for brownies:

Mix 1/3 cup flour with 1 cup water. Cook until thick and cool completely.

Melt 1/2 cup margarine. Add 2/3 cup cocoa and stir until smooth. Cool.

Beat 2 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. vanilla into the cooled flour mixture, then add cocoa mixture.

Mix together 2 cups flour and 21/2 tsp. baking powder and add to above ingredients. You can add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans. Bake in an oiled 9" x 13" pan at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.

For Fudge Brownies: Decrease the flour to 1 1/2 cups and the baking powder to 1 1/2 tsp. (Note: I like the fudge version best, as the regular version is more like cake.)

Simple enough? Now get your lazy asses in the kitchen!

A former member
Post #: 12
Vegan brownies originated in Tennessee. Ever hear of that lovely huge vegan commune The Farm? Well, they published the book that is the foundation for all vegan cookbooks, The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook. In it you will find easy recipes with ingredients you probably already own. Here is the one for brownies:

Mix 1/3 cup flour with 1 cup water. Cook until thick and cool completely.

Melt 1/2 cup margarine. Add 2/3 cup cocoa and stir until smooth. Cool.

Beat 2 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. vanilla into the cooled flour mixture, then add cocoa mixture.

Mix together 2 cups flour and 21/2 tsp. baking powder and add to above ingredients. You can add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans. Bake in an oiled 9" x 13" pan at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.

For Fudge Brownies: Decrease the flour to 1 1/2 cups and the baking powder to 1 1/2 tsp. (Note: I like the fudge version best, as the regular version is more like cake.)

Simple enough? Now get your lazy asses in the kitchen!

I tried this recipe over the weekend, and all I can say is OH MY GOD! This is about THE best brownie recipe I've ever eaten, including all of the nonvegan ones that I used to eat back in the day. I've been looking for this recpie for like, EVER!!!

I actually gave a few of them to some of my omnivore friends as well who were like.... salivating and drooling over these things. I'm in looove.
Tiffaney
veganmadre2
Washington, PA
Post #: 15
Steve, and here I was thinking I was only one who regularly says "for, like, ever". Glad I'm not alone! smile

Here is my tomato chutney recipe w/ pics.

Saute 1 teaspoon cumin seed, 2 dried red chiles, and one inch of cinnamon stick in 2 T oil/shortening until the cumin seed is browned.

Add 1 1/2 pounds diced tomatoes along with 3 T date sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir well.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorded and the tomatoes resemble a paste.

Cool to room temp and enjoy with whatever deep-fried indian delicacy you desire. Also good with rice or upma or...
Michael H.
MichaelHobson
Washington, PA
Post #: 43
I tried this recipe over the weekend, and all I can say is OH MY GOD! This is about THE best brownie recipe I've ever eaten, including all of the nonvegan ones that I used to eat back in the day. I've been looking for this recpie for like, EVER!!!

I actually gave a few of them to some of my omnivore friends as well who were like.... salivating and drooling over these things. I'm in looove.

Hehe, wait until you try the double chocolate ice cream recipe! This was my first vegan cookbook, and my all time favorite. My copy has been around for about 18 years, has been on fire and is now held together with packing tape. It's like an old friend.

So, now that I've seen pictures of your donuts and cake, and heard tales of your brownies...We need to plan a potluck.love struck
Leah
suttonsmom
West Palm Beach, FL
Post #: 7
Yes, I agree that this is the best cookbook ever! The spaghetti balls made into veggie burgers instead is my personal favorite. The double chocolate ice bean comes in at a close second.
Mike E.
mike_elliot
Group Organizer
Irwin, PA
Post #: 46
Fudge

• 3 Cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup vegan margarine
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk
  • 2 cups semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips
  • 7 oz vegan marshmallow creme
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Bring sugar, earth balance and coconut milk to a boil, while stirring constantly. Still stirring, boil for 5 minutes on medium heat or until candy thermometer reaches 234 degrees F. Pour into a greased 13x9 inch glass pan and chill until set up.

Notes:

• You need real sugar for this recipe. Sucanat or other evaporated sugar can juice isn't going to cut it. I use one of the organic brands that the co-op sells which hasn't been processed through animal bones
  • For the margarine I used Earth Balance
  • The co-op sells a vegan marshmallow creme, but I don't remember what the brand name is

-Mike
A former member
Post #: 13

Hehe, wait until you try the double chocolate ice cream recipe! This was my first vegan cookbook, and my all time favorite. My copy has been around for about 18 years, has been on fire and is now held together with packing tape. It's like an old friend.

So, now that I've seen pictures of your donuts and cake, and heard tales of your brownies...We need to plan a potluck.love struck

POTLUCK INDEED!!!! I'm all abaht it an nat.
Amethyst
user 3696031
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 3
The Vegan Living section of my website has a lot of recipes on it, mostly from Anne Lynch/The Vegan Goddess.

http://healingartsbyamethyst.com/hamassage.html­