align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo
Mike E.
mike_elliot
Group Organizer
Irwin, PA
Post #: 350
Here is the recipe I brought to the pot-luck at Rob Baran's.

-Mike

Yams and Greens

• 2 pounds of yams (sliced 1/4 inch thick and par-cooked, I generally use garnet yams)
  • 2 bunches of chard ( remove center ribs, chop in bite size pieces and blanch)
  • 1 large onion (chopped, large dice)
  • 2 - 3 T extra virgin olive oil
  • salt
  • pepper

Heat large skill over medium heat. Add olive oil and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally. Add sweet potatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook until just tender (probably another 5-10 minutes). Add greens, season with salt and pepper and saute all together for 3 - 4 minutes. Adjust seasonings and serve.
Sally
Strawberry_Sal
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 145
Not exactly a recipe per se, but did want to say that I made the stuffed cabbage casserole from Vegan Vittles II last night and my husband not only had seconds but actually took a big leftover container in for lunch today - I'd say it was a hit! Excellent recipe!

Sally
Jo and Michael S.
TheSteps
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 23
Not exactly a recipe per se, but did want to say that I made the stuffed cabbage casserole from Vegan Vittles II last night and my husband not only had seconds but actually took a big leftover container in for lunch today - I'd say it was a hit! Excellent recipe!

Sally

biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin

~Jo
Mike E.
mike_elliot
Group Organizer
Irwin, PA
Post #: 367
I ran out of raisins for my morning oatmeal (always a sad occasion) when I decided to try and make a banana nut version. It turned out so well, I had to share it with you.

-Mike

1 very ripe banana mashed
2 Tablespoons chopped walnuts
1/4 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1/2 cup apple juice
pinch of salt
dash of almond extract

Mix together in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 2 1/2 minutes. Stir and enjoy.
Dave W.
davewh
Portland, OR
Post #: 41
Michael,

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to say thanks for recommending this! We got the book a few months ago; Jen made the fudge version a few days ago using oat flour and adding chocolate chips, and whooooa!!! Very nice. There's something about that extra step of cooking the flour and water and cooling. Much better than the banana-based ones I've tried making in the past.

Dave

Vegan brownies originated in Tennessee. Ever hear of that lovely huge vegan commune The Farm? Well, they published the book that is the foundation for all vegan cookbooks, The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook. In it you will find easy recipes with ingredients you probably already own. Here is the one for brownies:

Mix 1/3 cup flour with 1 cup water. Cook until thick and cool completely.

Melt 1/2 cup margarine. Add 2/3 cup cocoa and stir until smooth. Cool.

Beat 2 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. vanilla into the cooled flour mixture, then add cocoa mixture.

Mix together 2 cups flour and 21/2 tsp. baking powder and add to above ingredients. You can add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans. Bake in an oiled 9" x 13" pan at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.

For Fudge Brownies: Decrease the flour to 1 1/2 cups and the baking powder to 1 1/2 tsp. (Note: I like the fudge version best, as the regular version is more like cake.)

Simple enough? Now get your lazy asses in the kitchen!

Dave W.
davewh
Portland, OR
Post #: 68
Hi, all.

As promised, this is the recipe for the beans and greens from Waffle Party 10:
http://www.all-creatu...­. However, I make a number of mods:

I use most of the same ingredients, omitting the cornmeal and adding 1/4 C or less of nutritional yeast along with 2 T of raw sugar, and a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes w/basil in addition to the 28 oz crushed that the recipe already calls for. I also use cayenne pepper powder and black pepper in lieu of the chipotle peppers and hot sauce. On occasion, I'll also throw in some sliced mushrooms about halfway through browning the onion and garlic (see below)--I *think* I did that for the WP 10 batch b/c we had some baby 'bellas to use up.

It's still pretty good w/o the nut. yeast; it just adds that extra bit of "umami kick."

Additionally, I prepare it differently. Instead of using the microwave, I do everything in a large pot on the stovetop. First I brown the onion and garlic in 2-3 T of olive oil to get the nice carmelization. (If you want it *really* carmelized, you might use a higher heat refined oil for this step so you're not taking the olive oil past its smoke point.) Then I add everything else along with another 2 T or so of olive oil, bring it close to boiling, and lower it to a simmer for at least 45 mins.

After everything else is partying together in the pot, I add salt in small increments until it's just right.

It may just be my imagination, but I often find this dish tastes better after sitting in the fridge overnight. It must give the flavors more time to blend.

Enjoy!
Dave
Mike E.
mike_elliot
Group Organizer
Irwin, PA
Post #: 469
Anyone have any good Thai soup recipes? I am particulary interested in a vegan tom ka gai recipe, but any good thai soup recipe would be welcome.

-Mike
Aviva
user 3075666
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 173
I just tried out my ice cream maker tonightsmile I made raw coconut ice cream from the Raw Food, Real World "cook"book. The recipe was really easy and quick! Also, the ingredients were relatively inexpensive. I think this was a good basic recipe, that can be adjusted depending on your tastes(i.e. adding in some fruit or some raw chocolate). Another nice thing, is that this ice cream is actually good for you! Eat up! I've had really good luck with a number of the desserts from this raw food book.

1 1/2 cups coconut meat
1 1/2 cups coconut water
1/4 cup agave nectar
3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
Seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean(or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
3 packets stevia
1/4 teaspoons sea salt

In a Vita-Mix or high-speed blender, puree all ingredients until smooth. Chill completely in the refrigerator and then process in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.
Mike E.
mike_elliot
Group Organizer
Irwin, PA
Post #: 474

1 1/2 cups coconut meat
1 1/2 cups coconut water

How many coconuts does it take to generate that amount of coconut and do you need mature or young coconuts for this?

-Mike
Aviva
user 3075666
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 174
1 coconut was fine for this recipe. I was short a little bit of coconut water, because I spilled some of it, but the ice cream still turned out just fine.

You need a young coconut for this because the meat is softer inside, which makes it easier to scrape out. Also, the young coconuts have more nutrients(b vitamins, potassium). Natural gatorade!