The Pittsburgh Vegan Meetup Message Board › Vegan Friendly Restaurants

Vegan Friendly Restaurants

Mike E.
mike_elliot
Group Organizer
Irwin, PA
Post #: 193
I was just looking at the list of vegan friendly restaurants in the VegGuide and realized I haven't been to most of them and was wondering what your experiences with these places are.

-Mike

• Abay - 8.3 / 4 - Ethiopian/Eritrean - 130 S. Highland Ave. - 412.661.9736

• Ali Baba - 7.0 / 2 - Middle Eastern/Persian - 404 South Craig St - (412) 682-2829

• Angkor - 7.0 / 1 - Chinese, Thai, Cambodian - 2350 Noblestown Rd. - 412-928-8424

• Bangkok Balcony - 8.0 / 1 - Thai - 5846 Forbes Ave. , 2nd Floor - 412-521-0728

• Beehive (Coffee/Tea/Juice) - American - 1327 East Carson Street - 412.488.4483

• China Palace - Chinese - 5440 Walnut St - 412-687-7423

• Double Wide Grill - 8.0 / 2 - American - 2339 E. Carson Street - 412.390.1111

• East End Food Co-Op - 8.0 / 3 - 7516 Meade Street - 412-242-3598

• Golden Palace Chinese Buffet - 6.0 / 1 - Chinese - 3607 Forbes Avenue -412.687.2288

• Kassab's Restaurant - 7.6 / 5 - Lebanese - 1207 E Carson St - 412-381-1820

• La Cucina Flegrea - 9.0 / 2 - Italian (Southern) - 2114 Murray Ave - 412-521-2082

• Lemon Grass Cafe - 4.5 / 2 - Chinese, Thai, Cambodian - 124 6th St. - 412-765-2222

• Lu Lu's Noodles / Yum Wok - 6.6 / 9 - Chinese, Thai - 400 S Craig St - 412-687-7777

• Mad Mex - 7.0 / 1 - American, Mexican, Tex-Mex - 370 Atwood Street

• Milky Way - 6.5 / 4 - Italian, Middle Eastern/Persian - 2120 Murray Ave - 412-421-3121

• New Dumpling House / Sushi House - 7.0 / 4 - Cantonese, Dim Sum, Japanese - 2138 Murray Ave - 412-422-4178

• Orchids - 7.0 / 4 - Indian (Southern) - 4519 Centre Avenue - 412-688-8383

• P.F. Chang's China Bistro - 9.0 / 1 - Chinese - 148 West Bridge Street , The Waterfront

• Pinati - Jewish (Sephardic), Mediterranean - 2100 Murray Ave. - 412-422-0404

• Quiet Storm (Restaurant, Coffee/Tea/Juice) - 8.7 / 3 - American - 5430 Penn Avenue - 15206

• Rose Tea CafĂ© - 6.0 / 1 - Taiwanese - 5874 1/2 Forbes Avenue - 412.421.2238

• Sisters SpecialTeas Cafe - Eclectic (Fusion), Eclectic (Varied) - 5996 Steubenville Pike - (412)787-8327

• Spice Island Tea House - 8.2 / 5 - Thai, Burmese, Malaysian, Indonesian - 253 Atwood St. - 412-687-8821

• Sree's - CMU - Indian (Southern) - Margaret Morrison Street

• Sree's - Downtown - 10.0 / 1 - Indian (Southern) - 701 Smithfield Street - 412.288.9992

• Sree's - Squirrel Hill - 7.0 / 3 - Indian (Southern) - 2103 Murray Avenue

• Sweet Basil/La Filipiniana - 5.0 / 1 - Thai, Malaysian - 2022 Murray Avenue - 412.422.8950

• Taipei - 6.5 / 2 - Chinese - 5528 Walnut St

• Tasty - 8.5 / 2 - Cantonese - 213 S Highland Ave - 412-361-8888

• Thai Cuisine - 8.5 / 4 - Thai - 4625 Liberty Ave. - 412-688-9661

• Thai Me Up - 8.0 / 1 - Thai - 1925 East Carson St - 412.488.8893

• Thai Place - Fox Chapel - 8.0 / 1 - Thai - 1034 Freeport Rd. - 412.784.8980

• Thai Place - Shadyside - 7.0 / 1 - Thai - 5528 Walnut Street - 412.687.8586

• Tram's Kitchen - 8.5 / 2 - Vietnamese - 4050 Penn Ave. 412.682.2688

• Udipi - 8.0 / 3 - Indian - 4141 Old William Penn Hwy - (412) 373-5581

• Whole Foods - 5880 Centre Ave - 412.441.7960

• Zenith - 8.4 / 7 - American - 86 S 26th St - 412.481.4833

Mike E.
mike_elliot
Group Organizer
Irwin, PA
Post #: 194
I am not your typical vegan. I am not into tofu and the fake meats. I also don't eat milled grains or sugar and like lots of vegetables with my meal.

-Mike

• Abay - one of my favorites

• Ali Baba - decent

• China Palace - good food but the last time I was there the service was bad

• East End Food Co-Op - I do most of my grocery shopping there but seldom eat there as I think their food is pretty bad

• Lu Lu's Noodles / Yum Wok - don't waste your money.

• Mad Mex - pretty good food, very noisy

• Orchids - I ate there after they first opened and gave them a very bad review. They have since changed their menu and when I want back a couple of months found the food to be pretty decent.

• P.F. Chang's China Bistro - I don't recall find it all that vegan friendly and the food was mediocre

• Quiet Storm - I haven't been there since they went non-smoking (the smoke was definitely a big turn off) but never thought their food was all that special. It is hard to find anything that healthy to eat there and the service is pretty bad.

• Spice Island Tea House - pretty good

• Sweet Basil/La Filipiniana - I really like this place and used to go to the one in Lawrencille all the time for lunch when I worked in the strip

• Thai Cuisine - I really like this place a lot although the restroom leaves much to be desired.

• Thai Place - I haven't been there in a couple of years but I liked it then

• Tram's Kitchen - some of my friends are really into the place but I never saw the appeal

• Udipi - like it a lot - cheesy diner atomosphere and mediocre service but good for a decent price

• Whole Foods - the food there is pretty decent, but it is generally too loud and crowded for my taste and I really don't like the company (they were part of the consortium that successfully lobbied to weaken the organics standards)

• Zenith - pretty decent food, owner is a bit of a character

Mike E.
mike_elliot
Group Organizer
Irwin, PA
Post #: 195
BTW, 2 places that weren't on their list that I would have added are Aladin's in Squirrel Hill (pretty decent middle eastern food) and Mediterranen Grill in Squirrel Hill (pretty good middle eastern food).

-Mike
Anne L.
VeganGoddess
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 79
Ok, Mike, I'm up to the challenge:

• Abay - I've had the food from here once or twice - it was ok, but it's not a place I really crave.

• Ali Baba - I really like this place Their spinach pies are, I think, the best in Pittsburgh. The hummus is excellent, too. The falafel, however, is awful.

• East End Food Co-Op - like you, I shop there, but rarely eat, unless I'm in the mood for a big salad (and their tomato-basil dressing is awesome). I don't think their food is bad, just rarely appealing to me.

• Lu Lu's Noodles / Yum Wok - I agree with you here - I never understood the appeal.

• P.F. Chang's China Bistro - I disagree here, but that's because I LOVE their Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps, which contain tofu. What I like about Chang's is that the waitstaff know what vegan means, and will help you if you need it. But, most of the veg stuff does contain tofu, so I can understand why you're not as enamored with it.

• Quiet Storm - Again, I agree - I never thought the food was all that great, but I haven't been back since they banned smoking, and would like to give them another shot.

• Spice Island Tea House - I'm curious what you eat here - I've been told that most of the stuff that looks like it would be vegan actually isn't (the fried appetizers are sealed with egg, for instance). What I had the last time I was there was bland, and I don't really think I'll go back, unless the crowd I'm with is intent on going.

• Sweet Basil/La Filipiniana - Beware the pumpkin curry - it is evidently not vegan (right, Aviva?)

• Thai Cuisine - I love this place, even though you have to specify "no cream" with the curries. At least they can accommodate that! The Fried Tofu (again, I know you wouldn't eat that), the Tofu Satay, and the Tom Yum Veggie Soup are my favorites here.

• Tram's Kitchen - I've been here once, didn't like it, but several friends rave about this place.

• Udipi - I must be the only veg person in the Pittsburgh area who has yet to make it to Udipi!

• Whole Foods - I will shop here IF the Co-Op doesn't have what I'm looking for, but have rarely tried anything on their prepared foods line (except the focaccia bread)

• Zenith - The brunch is great, especially the desserts!

Now, to the ones you didn't comment on:

• Bangkok Balcony - I have on good authority that this place is not as vegan-friendly as it seems, so I will not be going there again. However, I know some people on this list have had good vegan experiences there, so it's a quandry.

• Beehive - nothing special, and I can certainly make better vegan baked goods than them. But, it's ok in a pinch.

• Kassab's - I love, love, LOVE Kassab's - the falafel is not to be missed!

• La Cucina Flegrea - Very good food, but a little pricey.

• Milky Way - this kosher restaurant follows the Judaic definition of "vegetarian" - in other words, fish is on the menu. Barring that, though, it's got pretty decent food.

And to add two of my own:
  • People's Restaurant - Indian cuisine - EXCELLENT. They know exactly what vegan is, and are cheap to boot!

• Zarra's - Italian - One of the few Italian restaurants that makes their pasta the traditional way - without egg. Really good food, but again, pricey.

Anyone who is interested in more should buy The Vegan Guide to Pittsburgh. Yes, it's now three years old, so it desperately needs to be updated, and I'm working to include that on my soon-to-be-up-(hopefully) website, but it still has a lot of great basic information. You can email me privately about getting a copy. smile
  • Sally
    Strawberry_Sal
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Post #: 38
    I just recently got a copy of the VGP and I really like to refer to it. But that sort of listing does lend itself more to a website because restaurants do tend to come and go, change their level of vegan friendliness, etc. Be sure to let us know when the site is up and running!

Sally
    Jo and Michael S.
    TheSteps
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Post #: 13
    I was just looking at my VGPs (I've got two of them -- one is older than the other) yesterday, and I commented to Michael how much work went into these!!! I was also wondering when you would be updating them, so do please keep us posted on your website or whether an updated print version will be forthcoming. Thanks, Anne!

~Jo
    Anne L.
    VeganGoddess
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Post #: 82
    Jo, Sally, thanks for the compliments!

The two editions (2002 and 2004) were definitely labors of love. Though Animal Advocates benefited from the sales, I paid for everything - research and publishing. The 2004 version wound up costing me about $2,000 total, which is money I simply don't have now! Not to mention the many, many hours they took!

And while the information is easier to keep updated via a website, if you're in your car, want something to eat, and pass by a place, you don't necessarily have the time/equipment (though with those new phones...) to visit a webpage. Anyone have a solution to this dilemma?
    Mike E.
    mike_elliot
    Group Organizer
    Irwin, PA
    Post #: 210

And while the information is easier to keep updated via a website, if you're in your car, want something to eat, and pass by a place, you don't necessarily have the time/equipment (though with those new phones...) to visit a webpage. Anyone have a solution to this dilemma?

• Phones with internet access are starting to make this less of a big deal
    • Being able to download/print a pdf version from the web site gives you the best of all worlds ( a copy to keep with you - which you can print updates for) and one online with more in depth information.

-Mike
    Michael H.
    MichaelHobson
    Washington, PA
    Post #: 86
    As a vegan I rarely just drive around looking for a restaurant. I almost always head on-line to do some research first. Then again, I'm a big nerd like that and research almost everything on-line before I do it.confused
    Sally
    Strawberry_Sal
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Post #: 42
    Yeah, I agree with Mike - a .pdf version that people can print off if they want to would be a nice solution - no publishing costs for you, and for those who aren't into using paper as much and more likely to just hop on line with a cell phone or before they leave the house, more ecologically sound as well.

Sally