The Pittsburgh Vegan Meetup Message Board › Vegan Friendly Restaurants

Vegan Friendly Restaurants

Kathy M.
user 3689303
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 72
the tin front cafe in west homestead is WONDERFUL. a very nice, family-owned/run establishment with incredible food. please frequent this gem, as it's a little slice of heaven in pittsburgh.
ashley
user 11509095
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 3
It was very cute and friendly. And the mimosas and bloody marys were big and cheap!
I wrote a review awhile ago w/ pictures:
http://www.yinzerpart...­
A former member
Post #: 1
Mad Mex has great vegan options, I was very impressed. Yhey have vegan sour cream and vegan cheese options for everything, as well as several tofu options. My favorite is the chickpea burrito. Of course, they have the vegan mexican staple - guacamole.
Kathy M.
user 3689303
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 73
the tin front cafe now has a brunch. i'd be interested in seeing what that's like.
A former member
Post #: 3
Piper's Pub in South Side now offers a vegan dinner special every Tuesday (they also have a really yummy vegan black bean burger on the menu all the time). I've had 2 items and one was great, the other so-so, but the chefs are willing to try new recipes and get people's feedback. I do not know if they use separate pans, grill, etc. www.piperspub.com
Jenny A & A.
JennyandAugust
Murrysville, PA
Post #: 1,361
I haven't been here yet, but the owner of Abay has opened a new restaurant called Alma Pan-Latin Kitchen. The menu looks like it has lots of vegan options. http://almapgh.com/me...­

If anyone goes I'd love to hear what you think!
Niki P.
nikipenberg
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 24
Has anyone seen the new place going in on Liberty Ave in Bloomfield? I can't quite recall the name, but I want to say it's something like "Eat for Life." Does anyone know the scoop: Whether it's open, what kind of place it is, etc.?
Mike E.
mike_elliot
Group Organizer
Irwin, PA
Post #: 873
Has anyone seen the new place going in on Liberty Ave in Bloomfield? I can't quite recall the name, but I want to say it's something like "Eat for Life." Does anyone know the scoop: Whether it's open, what kind of place it is, etc.?

It is called Eat to Live Holistic Cafe. The only description I could find is as follows: "We are a juice cafe, focusing on juicing fruits and vegetables to promote knowledge of the importance these components have on a healthy living. We will provide healthy smoothies, pre-packaged foods (sandwiches, yogurts, wraps, salads), as well as fresh fruits and vegetables."

-Mike
Mike E.
mike_elliot
Group Organizer
Irwin, PA
Post #: 874
I haven't been here yet, but the owner of Abay has opened a new restaurant called Alma Pan-Latin Kitchen. The menu looks like it has lots of vegan options. http://almapgh.com/me...­

If anyone goes I'd love to hear what you think!

Diane and I ate there tonight. It is only open for dinner (5-10 Tue - Thu, 5-11 Fri-Sat). The food was good. I had the fried plantain appetizer, soup of the day (beet), and vegetarian plate (dish of quinoa, corn, and hominy, grilled zucchini and collards). The collard greens were probably my favorite part of the meal. They were really quite good. Definitely the best greens I have eaten to date. Grilled zucchini was ok but nothing to write home about. I liked the quinoa, corn and hominy dish. Diane liked the soup, but I was not as impressed. The fried plantains were good (although they were sugared so I didn't each much of them) and they can with a side of spicy black beans to dip the plantains in.

All in all, I quite enjoyed it. Things were a little greasy for me, but otherwise quite good. I like it even better than Abay. The service was pretty slow, but since it was only the start of their second week, I am willing to cut them some slack on that.

I would happily go back and there are still more dishes for me to try.

-Mike
A former member
Post #: 16
We just ate at Alma last evening! We had the plantains with black bean sauce as our appetizer. Very yummy- the sauce is delectable and vibrant. The plantains were sweet, although a little too greasy.

As entrees we tried the legume cake with collard greens. This was really tasty, although we found the collards to be a little too salty and the legume cake too greasy.

We also tried the corn cake with avocado, beets, and cabbage. My partner loved this, but I didn't like it at all.

We would probably go back, especially 'cause we live so close.

Has anyone tried Spak Brothers on Penn Ave? They offer vegan cheese for their hoagies and pizza, whole wheat crust, seitan wings, and some other vegan items. Been wanting to try it, but haven't yet gotten there. They also make efforts to keep their food "local, sustainable and healthy," which is also cool.

http://www.spakbrothe...­