addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Pittsburgh Vegan Meetup Message Board › Vegan Friendly Restaurants

Vegan Friendly Restaurants

Michael H.
MichaelHobson
Washington, PA
Post #: 115
I've never been to Orchid's, but I heard they are no longer a vegetarian restaurant.
Mike E.
mike_elliot
Group Organizer
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 270
I think we went at the beginning of the summer. I thought it was several different types of cusine, but I found it to be mainly indian with 2 different white rice dishes. Plus we got there 15 minutes after the lunch buffet started and they had us wait 20 minutes before they would serve it as they were waiting for more people to show up. Then they charged my 5 year old as an adult. It was an overal frustrating experience, but I shouldn't complain, as I didn't push them to lower the price on the child.

My first experience there was similar to yours and I had no desire to go back. Then a couple of months ago some Indian friends of mine wanted to go to lunch and suggested we go there. I resisted, but they said it had improved so I gave it another try and indeed it had improved. Still not my favorite restaurant but pretty decent.

I hadn't heard about them not being strictly vegetarian any more. Can anyone verify this?

Frankly if the owners are vegetarians it would be a mistake to try and serve meat to increase business. I remember from my meat eating days going to indian restaurants where the cooks were vegetarian and the meat dishes not being any good as the cooks could never taste the stuff to adjust the seasoning.

-Mike
Beverly B.
bevybun2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 1
We sharpen their knives, and last i head its still a vegetarian resturant. Charles and I haven't ate there yet but yeamy work tells me they are still veg. I think we will stop there this weekend to see how it is.
Sally
Strawberry_Sal
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 125
Just to let folks know, I went to the Big Burrito's website to sign up (coupons! Yay!) and left a comment that it was nice to know we had so many options in Pittsburgh for vegans that aren't a big bowl of iceberg lettuce. I got a response from the head chef - he thanked me for my comment and I wrote back saying I was toying with the idea of taking my hubby to Eleven for Valentine's Day - he said if I make reservations, to let them know ahead of time that I'm vegan so they can take good care of me - not that they can't even if you're just a drop in, but if they can prepare it would be even better. So I guess if planning to dine at a Big Burrito establishment, think about giving them advanced notice if possible smile

Sally
Forrest K.
user 6126676
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 1
I was never to Orchid's in Oakland. I passed by it riding the bus the other day and it is now Namaste India. They have a location at at 3101 Banksville Road with many vegan items.
Mike E.
mike_elliot
Group Organizer
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 333
I was never to Orchid's in Oakland. I passed by it riding the bus the other day and it is now Namaste India. They have a location at at 3101 Banksville Road with many vegan items.

Am I correct in assuming that Namaste India is not strictly vegetarian?

-Mike
A former member
Post #: 119
You are correct, Mike.
A former member
Post #: 120
Oh, and Forrest - good to see you on here!

Forrest was another of the former Pgh Vegetarian Society crew, for those who haven't met him yet.

Anne
Rachael
SmartFamily
Sewickley, PA
Post #: 27
Okay - I got the scoop on Orchids (I called them). They added meat to their menu and changed the name of the restaraunt to Namaste India, but it is the same restaraunt, same owners, etc. Apparently, they were getting a lot of requests from customers for meat, so they decided to add it to their menu. I guess they changed the name to establish a new image. Kind of sucks that they would add meat, I guess they were in it for the money and not the ethics....
Sally
Strawberry_Sal
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 133
I went out to a show downtown with my Dad on Saturday, and we at at Six Penn (on the corner of Sixth and Penn, not surprisingly). It's a pricy, fancier place, that specializes in using local ingredients, and they are very aware of what vegan means and are more than willing to accommodate. Their website says they can do "vegetarian" so I wasn't sure how they were with vegan, but mentioned it to the hostess when I got there. Next thing I know, the chef is coming out to talk to me (who was apparently vegan a few years ago so knew exactly what it means). I told him I'm a very adventurous eater, and the only thing I don't like is lima beans - I told him to surprise me. So you get a not-on-the-menu made-to-order dinner. I got a really great refried black bean dish with freshly made tortilla "crisps" and grilled endive - the plating was artful and the food was delicious. And when the bill comes, they give you handmade peppermint patties - which are vegan!

If you are looking for a fancier evening out sort of place, I recommend it. (and apparently reservations are recommended, particularly on the weekends) Dinner for my father and myself - 2 entrees with coffee and tea (no appetizer, salad, dessert or other beverages) - came to $42 and some change.

Sally