addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Pittsburgh Vegan Meetup Message Board › Vegan Friendly Restaurants

Vegan Friendly Restaurants

A former member
Post #: 2
My vegan friends and I looove Mad Mex, McKnight Road. It's awesome, the food is great-they will make anything vegan, and the service has always been good as well. Family friendly. And awesome drinks, good for a date night, lunch, or a family outing!
Mike E.
mike_elliot
Group Organizer
Irwin, PA
Post #: 576
I know this is going to sound like heresy, but I found an Indian restaurant that I like better than Udipi. That's right, I said it, better than Udipi. It is Northern Indian, so no dosa, but the food is really good. I have had better in Toronto and Berkley, but this is probably the best I have had (outside of someone's home) in Pittsburgh.

We went for lunch yesterday. They had a very large buffet with a lot of vegetarian options (3 of which were vegan) but we opted to order off of the menu so I can't tell you what the buffet cost. I tried the Punjabi Bhindi Masala (really good), Aloo Ghobi (best I ever had), some sort of lentil dish( really good) and some sort of cabbage dish (it was OK). The last 3 were free samples the owner brought over from the buffet for us to try.

The price is definitely higher than Udipi, but I think it is still a good value for the quality you are getting. We ordered 3 entrees, one appetizer and one Indian tea for $45. The decor was definitely nicer than most of the Indian restaurants in the area as well, complete with cloth napkins.

I had been scouting the place as a potential site for a Meetup, so I sent them the following email a few weeks back:

I am interested in bringing a large group of vegetarians and vegans to your restaurant, but wanted to make sure there were enough options for the vegans (strict vegetarian, no dairy, no eggs, no honey) before we make plans. What dishes do you have that are appropriate for vegans or could be easily adapted for vegans?

Here is their response (I decided to forgive them for misspelling my name):

Mr. Elliott:
There are a lot of Vegetarian items that are prepared on your order when you visit ZAIAKA for dining-in. We DO NOT USE egg or Honey in our vegetarian dishes at all and we can hold dairy product when you order and mention not use any dairy product. Lunch Buffet items that are set do normally use dairy product. However, any Vegetarian dishes can be made on your order without any dairy product when you specify on your arrival or call in advance and make reservation of the date and time.

You can visit our website www.zaiaka.com and see under catering for list of Menu items or we can email you the Vegetarian Menu for your review.

Please let us know when you are planning to visit and we can prepare the vegetarian dishes of your choice without any dairy products. We thank you and appreciate your interest in our ZAIAKA Restaurant.

Management
ZAIAKA Authentic Indian Cuisine
924 Presque-Isle Plaza
Pittsburgh PA 15239
Ph: 724-325-1247
www.zaiaka.com
­

-Mike
Sally
Strawberry_Sal
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 289
Is this the one in Plum? I had a business card for them but never managed to go. It was recommended by Indian friends, so figured it was good. Let us know when the meet-up is!

Sally
Mike E.
mike_elliot
Group Organizer
Irwin, PA
Post #: 580
Is this the one in Plum? I had a business card for them but never managed to go. It was recommended by Indian friends, so figured it was good. Let us know when the meet-up is!

Sally

Yes. It's in Plum. Will definitely post when we schedule a meetup there.

-Mike
Kathy M.
user 3689303
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 17
funny you should mention zaiaka. just went there on friday with hubby and another couple. loved the food, but IS little pricier than most. that said, with $10-off-if-$50-was-spent coupon, not bad deal! owners great and very personable. restaurant only supposed to be open until 9:30, but talked with them until 10:30! lunch buffet served every day for $8 - good deal!

went to pizza fusion yesterday. yes - we LOVE to eat! EXCELLENT! again, little pricier than most.
Kim
user 3152577
South Park, PA
Post #: 188
People's Indian is the BEST! They have fresh squeezed mango juice...
A former member
Post #: 6
BTW, 2 places that weren't on their list that I would have added are Aladin's in Squirrel Hill (pretty decent middle eastern food) and Mediterranen Grill in Squirrel Hill (pretty good middle eastern food).

-Mike
I wanted to add 2 places to the list.
Khalils Baum Blvd. East End Many Vegan/ Veg. options. Belly Dancing Friday Nights.

Dunkin Donuts
Sq. Hill (Corner of Forbes and Shady
Certified Kosher- Dairy
Nice fireplace and some cozy seating.
Board Games and Books
Mike E.
mike_elliot
Group Organizer
Irwin, PA
Post #: 785

I wanted to add 2 places to the list.
Khalils Baum Blvd. East End Many Vegan/ Veg. options. Belly Dancing Friday Nights.

Dunkin Donuts
Sq. Hill (Corner of Forbes and Shady
Certified Kosher- Dairy
Nice fireplace and some cozy seating.
Board Games and Books

Does Dunkin Donuts have anything vegan?
A former member
Post #: 14

Does Dunkin Donuts have anything vegan?

black coffee.

biggrin

some newspaper article said the DD in Sq. Hill offers *vegetarian* sausage and bacon.

A former member
Post #: 8
I have to check but I believe their veggie sausage and bacon is certified Kosher- Dairy. I wanted to mention Sweet Tammy's Bakery. "Using only the finest Kosher, non- dairy ingredients" They do use eggs in their baking however.
2119 Murray Ave. Pittsburgh PA 15217 located in Sq. Hill.
tel. # 412-224- 2306. Fax # 412- 202-4243
www.sweet-tammys.com