addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Pittsburgh Vegan Meetup Message Board › Vegan Friendly Restaurants

Vegan Friendly Restaurants

Aviva
user 3075666
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 233
How about Calli's in Regent Square? It's fairly new, only about a month old. I've passed it several times, but haven't gone in yet.
Torey
user 4407351
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 8
How about Calli's in Regent Square? It's fairly new, only about a month old. I've passed it several times, but haven't gone in yet.

They have two vegan-friendly sandwiches - I got a portabello sandwich minus the cheese and it was very good. I forget if the other sandwich is already vegan or if adjustments need to be madel
Aviva
user 3075666
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 234
Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to check it out! It's nice to know ahead of time what the vegan options are smile
A former member
Post #: 1
I know this is going to sound like heresy, but I found an Indian restaurant that I like better than Udipi. That's right, I said it, better than Udipi. It is Northern Indian, so no dosa, but the food is really good. I have had better in Toronto and Berkley, but this is probably the best I have had (outside of someone's home) in Pittsburgh.

We went for lunch yesterday. They had a very large buffet with a lot of vegetarian options (3 of which were vegan) but we opted to order off of the menu so I can't tell you what the buffet cost. I tried the Punjabi Bhindi Masala (really good), Aloo Ghobi (best I ever had), some sort of lentil dish( really good) and some sort of cabbage dish (it was OK). The last 3 were free samples the owner brought over from the buffet for us to try.

The price is definitely higher than Udipi, but I think it is still a good value for the quality you are getting. We ordered 3 entrees, one appetizer and one Indian tea for $45. The decor was definitely nicer than most of the Indian restaurants in the area as well, complete with cloth napkins.

I feel compelled to reiterate the loveliness of Zaiaka. I live down the street from the restaurant, so I eat there often. The owners and cooks are very flexible. In addition to veganising recipes, they make their curries with less oil when I ask. It's a great place for BYOB as well. As a warning, they are one of the few Indian restaurants I have visited that do not dull down the spiciness of their food. I like a good amount of heat, and ordering a 3 on a scale of 1-10 leaves my mouth feeling quite warm. Better to order less spiciness and ask for more if desired than to need three servings of rice to eat your curry. :)

It is a bit expensive, but I find that when I order takeout, the leftovers from one meal can feed me three nights in a row, especially if I make a quick side dish of my own to go with it.
Sally
Strawberry_Sal
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 448
I like a good amount of heat, and ordering a 3 on a scale of 1-10 leaves my mouth feeling quite warm. Better to order less spiciness and ask for more if desired than to need three servings of rice to eat your curry. :)

So - my question is how hot do you usually order your Indian food at other places? I generally order around a 7 - just trying to figure out how to gauge Zaiaka's spiciness with other restaurants.

Sally
Mike E.
mike_elliot
Group Organizer
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 791
I like a good amount of heat, and ordering a 3 on a scale of 1-10 leaves my mouth feeling quite warm. Better to order less spiciness and ask for more if desired than to need three servings of rice to eat your curry. :)

So - my question is how hot do you usually order your Indian food at other places? I generally order around a 7 - just trying to figure out how to gauge Zaiaka's spiciness with other restaurants.

Sally

It is milder than Udipi.

-Mike
Matt
MattBoyd
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 1
Golden Palace Chinese Buffet in Oakland has a decent number of vegan choices. I'd guess about 1/4 to 1/3 of their food is vegan. The food itself is nothing to write home about, but I've been there about 3 times and I'm sure I'll be back again. If you like Chinese, you'll like this.

The Beehive in South Side is a really fun coffee place. They do offer various vegan soups, etc., but I've never had to chance to get anything other than coffee. The coffee's good, although for me coffee is coffee. Obviously they'll use soy milk upon request, and at no additional charge if I remember correctly. Check it out for the atmosphere. Cool deco, cool people, an indoor smoking room if that's you're bag.
Aviva
user 3075666
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 240
Dozen Bakeshop in South Side, I don't know if it was already mentioned on here, but it's great! It's convieniently located right next to or almost right next to E House.

The staff is very knowledageable about what's vegan and what's not.
A former member
Post #: 3
There are so many pages here that I wasn't able to look through them all to see if this was already listed, but I recently ate at SOBA in Shadyside and was amazed at how great it was.

The Pad Thai is totally vegan and is chocked full of veggies and tofu. The entrees are huge, so you get your money's worth. I actually split my meal with a friend and I still had to take half home (so if you order one alone, it's enough for four dinners!)

The seaweed salad is also phenomenal!!
Kathy M.
user 3689303
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 48
have to reiterate - zaiaka's the best. i've been disappointed lately with indian garden in monroeville, mainly in terms of service, so i'm more than willing to pay more at zaiaka for excellent food and friendly owners. udipi's great as well, especially in terms of price, but i think the menu selection at zaika's better.