align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Pittsburgh Vegan Meetup Message Board › Q&A on becoming vegan

Q&A on becoming vegan

Sally
Strawberry_Sal
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 254
I second that - the south/west of Pittsburgh is pretty devoid of vegan friendly establishments (with the exception of the two places Mike mentioned already, and a smattering of ethnic restaurants and grocers where you might find something). I live in South Pittsburgh (Brookline) and routinely drive into the east end - once every week for grocery shopping, and often additional trips for restaurants during the week.

South Side might be a consideration for you - you could avoid tunnel traffic (for the most part) and the South Side has several vegan friendly eateries. And it's convenient to the East of Pittsburgh as well.

Sally
A former member
Post #: 42
i am out in the west end (15 mins. from the airport) close to robinson.

even though there aren't many vegan-friendly menus at most restaurants out here, i've actually had much luck eating really good vegan meals, wherever we go!

fridays, atria's, max-n-erma's, bravo, and applebee's have all been wonderful at helping create a vegan dish for my daughter and me!

even texas roadhouse was quite helpful! they whipped up a HUGE salad (that even i couldn't finish) with a terrific hot salsa dressing and the largest baked sweet potato i have ever seen. :)

panera bread has several veggie options. and they are great about pulling out their ingredient binder to see what everything is made of.

hmm....what else?

the cafe in ikea has veggie options! we had a great hummus sandwich with black olives and sprouts, the other day.

there's uncle sam's sandwich shop, which has several veggie sandwiches....just tell 'em to hold the cheese. :)

there's el campesino (sp?) - a good mexican joint. some of the waiters were having some troubles helping me find vegan options, but after a few minutes, we found a few dishes to satisfy me.

oh, there are 2 chinese restaurants in robinson. they both have tofu dishes/options.

golden corral actually has some good veggie food at their buffet. we're not big on buffets, but we took the fam there a few weeks ago, and i was surprised to find food for Loafpan and me! but, they add butter to many of their hot veggies though, so you have to ask a few questions.

we have a moe's and i've heard they have veggie options, but i've never been there.

and there are rumors that WF may be looking at spots in robinson, so we may have that option, one day.

hth!
Rachael
SmartFamily
Sewickley, PA
Post #: 66
I suspect that my family is the northwest townhouse family that Michael refered to and I do admit that we spend a lot of time traveling to the east side for shopping and dining. Some of our favorite restaraunts are on the east side. However, there are a number of chain restaraunts on the west side that have good vegan options (many of which have been named by people above) and aside from certain products that we can only get at Whole Foods or the Co-op on the east side, we do a lot of our shopping at Giant Eagle, Target, the dreaded Wal-Mart, and Costco, which are located in pretty much any part of Pittsburgh. They all have greatly improved their vegan selections over the past few years. One thing that I would add is what your family situation is. I think that the west side is more family friendly. If you have or are planning to have kids, the west side is in my opinion a better option. But then again, I am not a City person, never have been and the suburban-like west side appeals to me more. I suspect that some would disagree.
Michael H.
MichaelHobson
Washington, PA
Post #: 304
If you have or are planning to have kids, the west side is in my opinion a better option. But then again, I am not a City person, never have been and the suburban-like west side appeals to me more. I suspect that some would disagree.

Yep. wink To me family friendly is walking to school, to the park, the library, the green grocer, the bakery and the playground. Nothing family friendly about cars, parking lots and traffic jams. It's about experiencing a variety of cultures right outside your front door, not self-segregating in to little suburban pockets. But I'm a WashPaonian now, so what do I know. confused
Anne L.
VeganGoddess
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 201
bravo

When first compiling The Vegan Guide to Pittsburgh, I was informed by a Bravo's employee (she was vegetarian) that *everything* that leaves the kitchen, even if requested vegetarian, has chicken stock powder sprinkled on it. That was several years ago, but it's worth asking about.

there's uncle sam's sandwich shop, which has several veggie sandwiches....just tell 'em to hold the cheese.

Also, the fries at Uncle Sam's have beef fat in them (just like McDonald's), so pass on those.

we have a moe's and i've heard they have veggie options, but i've never been there.

I have been to Moe's in Slidell, Louisiana, and it was one of the few places I could get a meal out of the house. It's basically a Mexican version of Subway - you choose a base, then get to add whatever toppings (guacamole, salsa, beans, veggies, etc.) you want. They have tofu (and if the one in Slidell has it, the ones in Pittsburgh better have it!). I recall getting the Art Vanderley, which was tasty, if not a little too spicy for me.

Anne
Lisa
user 7545566
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 6
I grew up in Brookline! smile My parents still live there and my nieces and nephew go to school there. I was thinking about moving to Brookline to be close to the family. I'm glad to get your perspective, Sally.

I don't have any kids but I have two dogs (my furbabies) and I want to make sure that they will happy with our new house. I love the city. I would be happy in a condo downtown but I know that they wouldn't be. I have been living in the suburbs of Chicago for the past five years and I would like to move into a place that has more of a city feel but still have at least a small yard in which my dogs could play. I need a safe neighborhood because I always worry about the safety of my dogs. I like diversity and would love to be able to walk to shopping, parks, restaurants, etc. After five years in the suburbs I'm dying to use my legs more and my car less! I think I'm leaning toward the east side now. Can you tell me what the safest neighborhoods are on the east side?

It's great to hear that I still have options if I end up around Robinson. It would be great if they put a WF there. Thanks for all the restaurant tips too. My friends and I have often gone to Robinson for dinner and its nice to know that there are some options (other than a salad).

The last few times that I was in Pgh I found most of what I needed at Giant Eagle (Market District). I was surprised that they had so much! I'll be in Pgh for about four weeks soon and I can't wait to try all the restaurants I've read about since joining this group. Maybe I'll even make one of the meet ups! I think I'll try to spend some time east of Pgh to get a feel for life there.

You have all helped me so much. Thank you!!! If you have more tips for me about anything PLEASE let me know!!! smile
Anne L.
VeganGoddess
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 202
I think Squirrel Hill is one of the safest city neighborhoods (and in the East End), but it is *expensive* to live there. I moved one exit down on the Parkway (Swissvale), and my mortgage (3 story house) is only about $25 a month more expensive than my teensy, tiny rented apartment was in Squill. Granted, Swissvale is less safe, but it's close enough to Squill and all of its lovely vegan-friendly restaurants and shops.

Point Breeze, Park Place, and Regent Square might be worth looking into. The Bloomfield/Garfield/Shadyside area might be as well (though Shadyside is in the same price range as Squill).

Happy hunting (of the non-animal kind)!
Sally
Strawberry_Sal
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 256
A fellow Brookliner! I lived on Berkshire in the early 80's, and now I live off of Capital. Brookline's still pretty afforable and definitely safe, and you can find properties for rent that have decent (city) yards.

It's true, if you ask, you can usually be accommodated at most restaurants. But in my experience that generally means A) rather unimaginative pasta with veggies, or B) tossed salad and/or baked potato. Those things aren't bad, but sometimes you just want something a little more interesting :o)

Uncle Sam's subs are good, but like Anne mentioned, skip the fries! There's also a Chipotle in Robinson, where you can get vegan options.

Sally
Lisa
user 7545566
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 7
Thanks, Anne! I appreciate all the info. Can you tell me about how long it would take to get to the airport in the morning from where you live?

Sally...too weird! I grew up on Berkshire! The area I was looking at to move is near Capital. My nieces/nephew go to school right there and I wanted to be close. Small world!!! smile
Michael H.
MichaelHobson
Washington, PA
Post #: 306
Thanks, Anne! I appreciate all the info. Can you tell me about how long it would take to get to the airport in the morning from where you live?

Probably about 20-30 minutes, Anne only lives a couple of miles from where I used to live.