addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Pittsburgh Vegan Meetup Message Board › Q&A on becoming vegan

Q&A on becoming vegan

Rachael
SmartFamily
Sewickley, PA
Post #: 68
Yep. wink To me family friendly is walking to school, to the park, the library, the green grocer, the bakery and the playground. Nothing family friendly about cars, parking lots and traffic jams. It's about experiencing a variety of cultures right outside your front door, not self-segregating in to little suburban pockets. But I'm a WashPaonian now, so what do I know. confused

I definately agree that being able to walk places is nicer - the only downside to the burbs. I really hate how much I depend on my car. But, I would feel claustophobic living in the city. What would really be perfect would be a friendly eco-community in the suburbs where I would have space but cut down on driving by sharing rides with neighbors, growing more of my own food, etc. Of course all of the neighbors would have to be veg*n.....smile
Sally
Strawberry_Sal
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 257
Thanks, Anne! I appreciate all the info. Can you tell me about how long it would take to get to the airport in the morning from where you live?

Sally...too weird! I grew up on Berkshire! The area I was looking at to move is near Capital. My nieces/nephew go to school right there and I wanted to be close. Small world!!! smile

Wow - that is really weird!! smile You can get to the airport in about 15 minutes from Brookline, and there are lots of "back ways" you can use to avoid rush hour traffic if necessary.

What I really like about Brookline is that even though it's part of the city proper, it has a suburban feel to it. Lots of families and 2 parks. The Boulevard has a nice assortment of businesses (and Pitaland! There are good vegan eats to be had there), and it's a fairly walkable place (though depending on where you are, you get a good workout because there are a lot of hills!

It's nice and green - I have wildlife in my backyard - everything from birds (including a nearby mating pair of Red Tailed Hawks) to Deer, even have some wild turkeys from time to time!

I feel like I'm about 20 minutes or less to just about everywhere - very centrally located. I like living there, though wish it was a tad more vegan friendly out this way. Guess that's just something to work on biggrin

Sally
Michael H.
MichaelHobson
Washington, PA
Post #: 309
I definately agree that being able to walk places is nicer - the only downside to the burbs. I really hate how much I depend on my car. But, I would feel claustophobic living in the city. What would really be perfect would be a friendly eco-community in the suburbs where I would have space but cut down on driving by sharing rides with neighbors, growing more of my own food, etc. Of course all of the neighbors would have to be veg*n.....smile

We definitely agree on the vegan community part, and a lot of other things I know from talking to you, just not the location of said community. I pretty much passionately hate suburbs. Put me in the middle of the city, packed in like ants, or so far out in the country that you can run naked down the street for miles and nobody would ever see you.biggrin
Lisa B.
user 7545566
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 9
Wow - that is really weird!! smile You can get to the airport in about 15 minutes from Brookline, and there are lots of "back ways" you can use to avoid rush hour traffic if necessary.

What I really like about Brookline is that even though it's part of the city proper, it has a suburban feel to it. Lots of families and 2 parks. The Boulevard has a nice assortment of businesses (and Pitaland! There are good vegan eats to be had there), and it's a fairly walkable place (though depending on where you are, you get a good workout because there are a lot of hills!

It's nice and green - I have wildlife in my backyard - everything from birds (including a nearby mating pair of Red Tailed Hawks) to Deer, even have some wild turkeys from time to time!

I feel like I'm about 20 minutes or less to just about everywhere - very centrally located. I like living there, though wish it was a tad more vegan friendly out this way. Guess that's just something to work on biggrin

Sally

I can't believe you get turkeys! I really liked living in Brookline. It's a great location. I just wish that there were more vegan options there and more things within walking distance. Thanks for the tip about Pitaland. All these years and I've never been there.

I wish that Pgh had trains like Chicago (metra, el). I think it's really weird that the T only goes into the south hills. I like trains a lot more than buses. If it was easier to get around Pgh, where I will live wouldn't be such a big deal. Pgh doesn't have good transportation to the airport either. I wish I didn't have to drive there. No matter. I'm excited to return to Pgh.
Lisa B.
user 7545566
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 10
We definitely agree on the vegan community part, and a lot of other things I know from talking to you, just not the location of said community. I pretty much passionately hate suburbs. Put me in the middle of the city, packed in like ants, or so far out in the country that you can run naked down the street for miles and nobody would ever see you.biggrin

I agree with you about the city but I don't know about the country. I've never lived in the country but I've visited. I had nothing to do. I never thought to run naked down the streets. biggrin
A former member
Post #: 2
Kind of going back to the nutritional aspect, I just recently purchased my first bottle of agave nectar, and as I found what seems to be a good resource for replacing sugars with agave. I have to admit, I haven't tried anything short of using it for tea, but if someone has experience, could you let me know if the suggestions on this webpage are effective? Thanks!

Substituting Agave
Mike E.
mike_elliot
Group Organizer
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 530
Kind of going back to the nutritional aspect, I just recently purchased my first bottle of agave nectar, and as I found what seems to be a good resource for replacing sugars with agave. I have to admit, I haven't tried anything short of using it for tea, but if someone has experience, could you let me know if the suggestions on this webpage are effective? Thanks!

Substituting Agave

I have been using agave for several years now and their recommendations sound reasonable. Recently, I have been trying to stay away from it as I am beginning to see that any type of sweetner just isn't a good idea for me. However, if you are going to use a sweetner, I think it is a pretty good one. I use it in dressings, sauces and non-baked desserts (I suspect it would take quite a lot of baking chemistry knowledge and expermintation to replace a dry sweetner with a liquid sweetner in baked goods).

-Mike
A former member
Post #: 3
Mike,
Thank you for the reply. I'm especially interested in cutting back standard sugar and convincing my husband to stop using Sweet & Low. I don't trust Aspartame!
Michael H.
MichaelHobson
Washington, PA
Post #: 330
Mike,
Thank you for the reply. I'm especially interested in cutting back standard sugar and convincing my husband to stop using Sweet & Low. I don't trust Aspartame!

Mike Elliot is an awesome wealth of healthy vegan information!

Aspartame is EVIL! I broke out in hives on pretty much a daily basis for two years straight, mostly on my arms and wrists. I finally narrowed it down to aspartame and Splenda too was just as bad. After eliminating it, no more hives, EVER. Our family doesn't consume it any more.

We have a vegan physician friend in Germany, he had one of his patients give exchange coke for diet coke because he felt that corn syrup was better for him than aspartame. The guy lost 50 pounds without making any other significant changes.confused
A former member
Post #: 104
I was horridly addicted to apartame 2 years ago. I drank diet coke from sunrise to sunset. I craved it first thing in the morning. At first, I was suspicious that it was the caffeine I was addicted to but, I found that to not really be the case. I still enjoy coffee and other caffeinated beverages. When I quit, I experienced SEVERE withdrawals - migraines lasting hours and affecting my vision. I was still drinking coffee (substituting it, really, since I didn't drink it much before) and regular coke. I see women (men, too) on an almost daily basis take that first sip of diet coke and sigh. That's addictive behavior. I did the same. I remember that first sip euphoria. Weird, I know. I'm glad that's over. I'm shocked, though, to see how many food items they add artificial sweeteners to nowadays. It's scary to me. We're pumping our bodies full of poison every bite of commerical food we eat!

And, I agree, Mike Elliot is an amazing wealth of healthy vegan information. I think he's great!