Please Make Note of Pleasure Palate Attendance Policies and our 3 Strikes Rule by clicking here before RSVP-ing to this Event. Cancelling your RSVP within 24 hours or not showing up at the event without contacting the Organizer ahead of time will result in a strike. 3 Strikes and You're Out!
EVENT MUST KNOWS:
- We will meet inside the restaurant at 7:00pm. Once we are able to grab us a couple of tables, we can each go to the counter to order our grub.
- Cost per person is expected to be about $15 - $25, depending on how much food you order, plus any beverages, tax and 18% gratuity. Please bring at least $30 in CASH (small bills preferred) to settle your portion of the bill.
- Please order your food and beverages at the counter before joining the group at the tables.
- Only street parking is available. Be sure to read the street signs for any parking restrictions, and whether you still need to feed the parking meters or not if you are parked at a metered space.
- I will send out my cell number the night before this event so that you can call or text me if you arrive before I do, or are running late, or are lost.
Fellow Pleasure Palate member Yarom suggested that we give this place a try since it was just featured on the Food Network's "Diners, Drive Thrus and Dives," where host Guy Fieri just raved about their lamb burger, spicy pull pork burger and sweet potato wedges.
This little hole in the wall with very non-chalant signage in the front must be doing something right as the 2013 Los Angeles Restaurant Guide names The Golden State as having the best burger in town. With so many wonderful burger joints in town, such as Father's Office, Umami Burger, Grill 'Em All Burger, The Hat, The Oinkster, In 'N' Out, etc., that's quite a mention.
Like most newer burger joints, you can now have a beer (or a glass of wine) with your burger!
In the episode of "Diners, Drive Thrus and Dives," the owners of The Golden State prepared for Guy Fieri their Lamb Burger and Spicy Pull Pork Burger to try. Unfortunately, these burgers are not on their regular menu. The Lamb Burger is their Specialty Burger offered only on Thursdays, while the Spicy Pull Pork Burger is only offered on Tuesdays. So, it looks like I will have to repeat this event so that we can sample both Specialty Burgers. However, you are more than welcome to order something else from their regular menu: http://thegoldenstatecafe.com/menu/2013/2013_0112_GS_Menu.pdf
The first time I hosted dinner here was on a Tuesday night, so we were able to try their Pulled Pork Burger. This time, we paying Golden State a 2nd visit, but on a Thursday, so that we can try their Lamb Burger.
Yelp Reviewers give The Golden State an average rating of 4.0 Stars out of 5.0, from over 710 reviews: http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-golden-state-los-angeles
Word of Warning: Now that they've been featured on the Food Network, chances are the place may be packed these days, so be prepared for a brief wait for a table.