Please Note: Read all the instructions below BEFORE you RSVP 'Yes' for this event.
1) I am hosting this event for both Gay Foodies and Pleasure Palate.
2) You MUST prepurchase your ticket online BEFORE you can RSVP 'Yes' for this event.
3) To purchase the $50 ticket online, go here: http://lajollahistory.org/events/secret-garden-tour/event-tickets/
4) This event involves walking for at least 2.5 miles on city streets. So you must be physically capable of walking that distance without major effort.
5) I will be arranging for a carpool at the B of A parking lot on the corner of Santa Monica Blvd. and Butler. Its 4 blocks West of where the 405 freeway and Santa Monica Blvd. intersect. We will be meeting at 7:30 AM SHARP.
6) If you carpool, please give your driver at least $30 in CA$H to reimburse for gas and car maintenance costs.
7) We will have breakfast at a TBD restaurant on the way down to San Diego. We will also have lunch after the walking tour. So bring at least $50 in CA$H for breakfast and lunch.
8) If there is time after lunch in La Jolla, we will check out some other local points of interests before heading back to LA.
9) This is an ALL DAY event and we won't return to LA until around 6 PM or 7 PM.
I normally wouldn't schedule visits to the San Diego area two weekends in a row, but I can't resist returning to try out the Secret Garden of La Jolla Tour. I have been wanting to attend this tour for a couple of years now since La Jolla is one of the more beautiful and entertaining places to visit in the San Diego area. So come join me as we move beyond the tourist section of La Jolla and enter the privately owned residences in the area to view their gardens. Think of it as the behind the scenes tour of La Jolla.
From their website:
The Self Guided Tour starts with check in at Wisteria Cottage, 780 Prospect Street.
On checking in you receive your program booklet with the locations of the secret gardens, a map of the tour and your wristband necessary to gain entrance. You may visit the gardens in any order you wish.
Advanced ticket sales will close May 17; but tickets will be available at Wisteria Cottage on day of tour, from 10 am. Those with pre purchased tickets will have an option of Drive-Through Check In on Eads Avenue, next to Wisteria Cottage. Look for signs.
Every spring, the La Jolla Historical Society extends a rare invitation to the public to stroll behind the garden gates of some of La Jolla’s loveliest, secluded gardens, normally concealed from view by strategic growth of mature trees, vines or foliage.
The Tour aims to feature a variety of garden styles. Past tours have showcased some of La Jolla’s large estate gardens, as well as intimate cottage-style, romantic Mediterranean, formal French and English gardens.The locations are kept secret and only revealed in the program distributed the day of the Tour.
The gardens will again be enhanced with music performed by local musicians, tabletop displays by local designers and merchants, and by La Jolla artists in the process of capturing each home and garden’s unique beauty.
The Secret Garden Tour began with the goal of raising public awareness of the La Jolla Historical Society and its efforts to preserve our unique seaside community. What started as a small ‘seed’ of an idea, to get La Jollans interested in preservation, has sprouted into a beloved annual event that attracts thousands of people. The Tour generates essential financial support for the Society’s mission to discover, collect and preserve La Jolla’s heritage, and in the process makes new friends for the La Jolla Historical Society.
There are two versions of the Tour: the Self-Guided Tour, and the Platinum Tour which includes an elegant brunch and shuttle transportation to the gardens.