Please Make Note of Pleasure Palate Attendance Policies and our 3 Strikes Rule by clicking here before RSVP-ing to this Event. Cancelling your RSVP within 24 hours or not showing up at the event without contacting the Organizer ahead of time will result in a strike. 3 Strikes and You're Out!
I hard have an opportunity to go down to the South Bay, but I've always wanted to try the dim sum at Sea Empress. However, I've decided to make this a mini-crawl instead, hitting dim sum and soup dumplings in one outing. Sampling food from both of these places shall give us an indication as to the quality of Chinese in the South Bay. If either of these restaurants are pretty good, to say the least, then perhaps, we will come back in the future and try out some other Chinese spots.
EVENT MUST KNOWS:
• YOU MUST BE COMMITTED TO EATING AT BOTH RESTAURANTS OF THIS MINI-CRAWL IN ORDER TO SIGN UP. THIS EVENT IS CAPPED AT 8 TO ENSURE PROPER SHARING OF DISHES.
• We will meet in front of the restaurant shortly before they open at 11:00am.
• We will be dining "Family Style." The food bill will be split evenly among all attendees. Attendees will be responsible for paying for their own alcoholic beverages. Please note that flexibility is an important part of family-style dining, and if you want to take a chance on attending, you have to be amenable to what the group will order. You don't have to eat everything that is ordered, but everyone pays equally, whether you eat everything or not. The goal for family-style dining is to allow for the entire group to sample as wide a variety of dishes as possible. If one or more attendees choose to order on their own, that limits the group's choices, which defeats the purpose of what Family-Style Dining is all about. If this definition of Family-Style Dining doesn't feel comfortable, this may not be the right type of event for you.
• Please bring at least $40 in CASH for the mini-crawl, more if you choose to purchase dessert, grocerties or other food items at either of the shopping & restaurant malls we will be visiting.
• I will order about 5 different items for the group to share: Pork XLBs, Crab & Pork XLBs, Steamed Lamb & Green Onion Dumplings, Smoked Pork Pancake Rolls, and Cumin Lamb.
• Dumpling House is the spawn of the restaurant with the same name in Arcadia. This location has, so far, earned an average rating of 3.0 Stars out of 5.0 from over 35 reviews: http://www.yelp.com/biz/dumpling-house-gardena
• As the restaurant is located in Tozai Plaza, there is ample parking within the plaza. Street parking is also available. Be sure to read the street signs for any parking restrictions, or pay for parking, especially if you are parked at a metered space.
• Afterward, we will head over to the Pacific Square Gardena mall about 1/2 mile east of Tozai Plaza for the 2nd half of our crawl (1330 W. Redondo Beach Blvd., Gardena, CA 90247; Sea Empress' exact address is 1338 W. Redondo Beach Blvd.)
• We will meet in the lobby of the restaurant and wait for a table. The dim sum here are served on carts, and I will order about 5 different varieties for the group start. We will order more if the group desires, or head off for Japanese mochi dessert at Mikawaya (http://www.yelp.com/biz/mikawaya-sweet-shop-gardena). You will also have an opportunity to go shopping for food items at Marukai Supermarket (http://www.yelp.com/biz/marukai-pacific-market-gardena#query:japanese%20market) if you desire to as well.
• Sea Empress received an average of 3.5 Stars out of 5.0 from about 350 Yelp Reviewers: http://www.yelp.com/biz/sea-empress-seafood-restaurant-gardena
• At the end of both meals, I will collect the total amount due from each member in attendance.
• As always, I will email all attendees my cell number the night before so that you can contact me if you arrive before I do, or are running late, or are lost.